Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Hall, Eleazer A.


Age: 22, credited to Plymouth, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 5/7/61, m/i 6/20/61, Pvt, Co. I, 2nd VT INF, wdd, Marye's Heights, 5/3/63, dis/wds, 5/27/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/03/1839, Plymouth, VT
Death: 02/02/1935

Burial: Plymouth Notch Cemetery, Plymouth, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Joie Finley Morris +
Findagrave Memorial #: 106021537


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/1/1863
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Plymouth Notch Cemetery, Plymouth, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Eleazer A. Hall

The Vermont Journal, February 7, 1935

Ludlow: Eleazer Alonzo Hall, 95, the last surviving Civil War Veteran and member of O. O. Howard Post G.A.R. in Ludlow and vicinity, died Saturday afternoon after a two weeks' illness at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bert Balch on Pond street. Mr. Hall would have celebrated his 96th birthday had he lived until Sunday, Feb. 3.

Mr. Hall was born in Plymouth, Feb 3, 1839, son of Nathan and Prudence Hubbard Hall, being one of four boys, Christopher, William, Stillman, and Eleazer. His two younger brothers died several years ago. Christopher died in 1929. Mr. Hall married Myranda Sanderson, Nov. 17, 1869. Nine children were born to them, one died in infancy and another when very young. The oldest son, Eugene, died a year ago.

In the early years of his life Mr. Hall owned and operated the Plymouth Lime Works and also operated a lumber business. When the Civil War broke out he was one of the first young men in Plymouth to enlist, which was in 1861. He enlisted in Co. I, 2nd Vermont Volunteers and was in every important engagement, for two years. He fought in the first and second Battles of Bull Run. On May 3, 1863, at the Battle of Chancellorsville he was shot through the head in such a manner that the bullet came out the corner of his mouth taking out 11 teeth and nearly severing his tongue. It was two days before he received medical attention and during that time had nothing to eat and it was thought he could not recover. A strong constitution proved to be in his favor.

He refused to take ether during medical treatment due to the bullet wounds. When he was discharged from the hospital he returned to his home in Plymouth, where he always made his home, except for the past eight years, he has lived with his daughter, Mrs. Bert Balch who had devotedly cared for him.

Mr. Hall was a great lover of music and of the old time dances. He attended them regularly up to within a few years ago. On his 94th birthday he danced a jig in such a manner that made the younger dancers admire his ability.

Mr. Hall was an ardent checker player and was often seen in the Ludlow Checker club rooms. He had been in exceptionally good health until recently.

He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Bert Balch and Mrs. Floyd Hadley of Ludlow, and three sons, Verne, Julian, and Lindsey, also a cousin, Mrs. Prudence Albee of Springfield who is near Mr. Hall's age. Fourteen grandchildren survive, also five great -grandchildren.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the Snow and Spaulding Undertaking parlors on Main Street. Rev. Norman Moss officiated. The Ballard Hobart Post American Legion had charge of the service at the grave at Plymouth. The Woman's Relief Corps attended the funeral in a body.

Contributed by Cathy Hoyt.