Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Harwood, George H.


Age: 18, credited to Bennington, VT
Unit(s): 14th VT INF
Service: enl 10/4/62, m/i 10/21/62, Pvt, Co. A, 14th VT INF, m/o 7/30/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/12/1845, Bennington, VT
Death: 02/24/1925

Burial: Village Cemetery, Bennington, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 9/26/1890, VT; widow Cqaroline W., 3/12/1925, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Village Cemetery, Bennington, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

George H. Harwood

Bennington Banner
24 Feb 1925
George H. Harwood Was Also Engineer of Fire Engine
During War Went to Front In Company of "Ransom" Gore
George H. Harwood, whose record as engineer of steam fire fighting apparatus with the Bennington department is believed to have exceeded that of any other man similarly employed in America and whose service of 50 years as fireman has few equals, died this morning at his home on Union street, following a final illness of two weeks. He had been in failing health for several years but had been able to be about the streets during the early portion of the present winter.
His record as a steam fire engineer was not only remarkable for its duration but also because of its efficiency. The steam engine purchased in 1871 and which did not go into retirement until the village acquired the gasoline operated apparatus during the present year, participated in nearly all of the serious fires in that long lapse of years and under his direction and operation was exceptionally effective.
His interest in the apparatus was intense. At the time of his retirement as active engineer in the spring of 1915 he made the suggestion that he be kept on the payroll until the first of July in order that he might have a record of 50 years in the department, a request that was readily granted. His interest did not cease with his retirement. At annual insections he continued to occupy his position on the rear platform, the proudest individual in the entire department, his whitening hair and long grey mustache in striking contrast with the appearance of the younger men who walked at his side. On these occasions the engine was decorated with flowers and every bit of brass and nickel glistened as on the day when it first left the factory. The steam engine responded to what was probably its last call on the night of January 16, 1924, when the Hawks block on Main street was gutted, one of the most disastrous fires in the history of Bennington, and he then assisted in its operation. He also participated in the latest inspecttion on Labor day last September.
George Hibbard Harwood was a native of North Bennington, born October 12, 1845, the son of the late John Harwood and Roxana Olin. He was a descendent in the fourth generation from John Olin, one of the early set- tlers of the town of Shaftsbury. He was an exceptional mechanic. At one time he was employed for a considerable period at the Adams shop on North street and later at the shops of the Charles Cooper estate where he worked for nearly 20 years and long after the retiring limit for most men of his trade.
He was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting with Company A of the 14th Vermont regiment, and with one exception, that of E. Payson Hathaway, was believed to have been the last survivor of the 101 Bennington county young men who went to the front with Captain "Ranse" Gore.
Fifty-seven years ago he married Caroline Walton, who with two sons, G. Louis and Olin W., and one grandson, Walter C. Harwood, survive. He was a member of St. Peter's church and early in life was for a number of years a teacher in the Sunday school. He was also a member of Stark lodge of Odd Fellows.
The funeral arrangements will not be known until tomorrow.

Contributed by Tom Boudreau.