Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Hinsdill, Mitchell W.


Age: 19, credited to St. George, VT
Unit(s): 17th VT INF
Service: enl 8/28/64, m/i 9/14/64, Pvt, Co. K, 17th VT INF, enl one yr., m/o 6/2/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/03/1846, St. George, VT
Death: 08/10/1923

Burial: St. George Village Cemetery, St. George, VT
Marker/Plot: 5
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 11/3/1890, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


Great Grandfather of Clark Hinsdale, III, VT

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Village Cemetery, St. George, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Mitchell W. Hinsdale, 78, Suffers Fractured Skull When Frightened Animals Kick Him - Was Measuring Stall

ST. GEORGE, Aug. 10. - Mitchell W. Hinsdale, 78, lost his life in his barn when kicked by a horse and trampled upon by another horse this afternoon, dying of a fractured skull about an hour after he was taken to the house. His body was badly bruised about the upper part. The fracture of the skull was at the base of the brain and there were cuts and bruises on the head. The left arm was broken near the wrist.

Mr. Hinsdale was measuring a stall in the barn, the horse in the stall became frightened at the measuring rod and struck out with his hind feet, kicking Mr. Hinsdale away from the stall directly upon the heels of another horse, which immediately became terrified and trampled upon the prostrate man. His son came to his aid and, with the son's help, Mr. Hinsdale was able to walk to the house. His mind seemed to be clouded, however, and kept asking repeatedly what had happened to him.

Dr. M. W. Hunter of Essex Junction was called and found that Mr. Hinsdale had a fractured skull. He lived about an hour. The accident happened about 1:30.

Mr. Hinsdale is survived by one daughter, Miss Nora Hinsdale and by one son, Clark Hinsdale, both of St. George. Mr. Hinsdale had been town representative at three different times. At the time of his death he was one of the selectmen and a road commissioner. He was a member of Patriarch Lodge, F. & A. M., of Hinesburg, and of the grand army.

The funeral will be held at his late home, tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial will be in the St. George cemetery.

Source: Burlington Free Press, August 11, 1923.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.