Vermont Flag Site Logo

Hogan, Charles P.


Age: 18, credited to Morristown, VT
Unit(s): 7th VT INF
Service: enl 12/30/61, m/i 2/12/62, Pvt, Co. E, 7th VT INF, pr CPL 3/1/63, red 7/1/64, m/o 8/30/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 09/06/1843, Ireland
Death: 12/16/1915

Burial: Sheldon Cemetery, Sheldon, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Denis & Karen Jaquish
Findagrave Memorial #: 50556565


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not Found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Sheldon Cemetery, Sheldon, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Charles P. Hogan


HOGAN, Hon. Charles P., son of Charles and Ann (McInulla) Hogan, was born in County Tyorne, north of Ireland, August 27, 1843, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. From an early age he was continuously under the tutelage of an old English master until he came to this country with his parents when he was 13 years old. He continued his studies in the common schools in Vermont and was a student in the academy at Morrisville in 1861 when he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Regiment Vermont Volunteers, to serve in the War of the Rebellion for three years. During part of the last year he was engaged in procuring and conducting recruits to help fill the decimated ranks of the Seventh and Eighth Vermont regiments. At the close of his service he pursued his studies further at the academies in Johnson and Morrisville and taughter school for six months at the village of Wolcott. He studied law about three years with Powers and Gleed in Morrisville, and was admitted to the bar in 1868. He was graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan. He took a special literary couse at the same institution, and in connection therewith a full course in a business college at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Mr. Hogan began the practice of his profession at Sheldon in January, 1870.

In politics he has always been a loyal Republican, being state's attorney in 1878-'80, and a member of the Senate in 1882-'84. In the Senate he served on the judiciary committee, on the committe on banks, and as chairman of the general committee. He removed to St. Albans in 1889. In 1902 he formed a partnership with Hon. H. Charles Royce, under the firm name of Hogan & Royce, which continued until 1900, when Mr. Royce retired, and the firm of Hogan & Hogan, consisting of Charles P. and his son, George M. Hogan, was established. The subject of this sketch has a well-recognized reputation throughout the state as a conscientious, thorough and successful lawyer. Though not a candidate, he was prominently mentioned in connection with the vacancy on the bench of the Supreme Court when Judge Start was first elected, and again after the death of Judge Start. He was president of the Vermont Bar Association in 1897-'98 and as a result of his annual address on the grand jury system a substantial change in the law on thst subject has been made. He is a prominent member of the G.A.R. and has been commander of the post in St. Albans.

The strength and character of the support he received as a candidate for commissioner of state taxes is a high testimonial of his excellent standing as a public man. He is a man of fine sensibilities, genial and social in his manner.

In 1870 he married Thirza J., daughter of Charles and Cynthia (Adams) Maynard of Enosburg. Their two children are Minnie L. and George M. Hogan.

Source: Jeffrey, William Hartley, Successful Vermonters: A modern Gazetteer of Lamoille, Franklin and Grand Isle Counties..., East Burke, Vt.: The Historical publishing company, 1907, pp. 342-345.




MAY 23d, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- Thinking it would be interesting to you and you readers, to hear from the 7th regiment, therefore I enclose the following, concerning our journey from Ship Island to this place. We left the island May 13th, and marched on board a steamer and proceeded directly to Fort Pike, where 3 companies of our regiment are stationed. They are Co. B, C, and part of G. and F.. We stayed there about an hour. And than went to Lake Ponchartrain.We halted again at Jefferson, where we stayed until the next morning, when we again directed our course about 7 miles up the Lake and landed at a beautified place called Lake Shore. We took possession of a large magnificent building, situated on the shore. It was surrounded by woods and groves, and on the whole, it was the most splendid residence I ever saw. We stayed at this place until the next morning, and proceeded to Carrolton by rail. We found the people there in a hard state, perhaps what the people of Vermont would call a state of starvation.

Flour is $35 per barrel, coffee is $1 per pound, tea is 2 to $3 per pound and other things in proportion, excepting sugars that can be bought from 1 to 2 cents a pound. We lingered a short time in the city and then marched to the place of our encampment, the distance of 2 miles. On our way to camp I never saw anything so beautiful as the groves of orange and lemon trees, the houses and front yards are all decorated with fruit and flowers of all kinds.

The place we occupy appears to have been a place of refuge for the rebels. There is breastwork five miles in length. It commences on the banks of the Mississippi and extends into a swamp where it would be impossible for any army to pass through. There is about 65 guns, some of which the rebels spiked at the time of their departure. It must have been a great loss to them. Our camp ground is situated on an old plantation, surrounded by all the beautiful scenes of nature. The negroes are flocking in from all quarters every day; they tell a sad tale in regard to their treatment, living, &c. Gen Phelps has allowed each company to have three to do their hardest work. We hope soon to move farther north, as the climate is unhealthy here. This morning we had twenty rounds of cartridge dealt out to us.

Charles Hogan

Co. E., 7th Regt.




JULY 2d, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- As you and your many readers have undoubtedly heard of the removal of the 7th regiment from Carrolton, it will be unnecessary for me to undertake to say anything in regard to them, and I am entirely ignorant of their doings, since their departure, (June 6th) orders were read at dress parade to be ready the next day to march at 30 minutes notice. The next day came, and yet they did not go; the next day came and found the 7th regiment still awaiting the boat. About 2 o'clock p.m., of the 10th, by looking in the direction of New Orleans, we could easily discern the dense black smoke roll up in huge columns. We were all glad to see it. The general expression of the boys was, give me any place in exchange for this --- especially up the river, farther north. About 6 A.M., they marched on board the steamer "Uberville," leaving behind their tents and all extra clothing except a change of underclothes, their over coats and blankets, the remainder they left packed in boxes, and left them with the tents; they also left twenty men of the company, including myself, on account of our previous ill health. The other companies left a proportionate number.(here I am interrupted by an order to clean my gun.)

JULY 3d, --- Nothing occurred for a few days after the regiment left, that appeared to attract attention, and being rather lonesome, the contrabands would gather around us and tell a lamentable story concerning the cruelties of their masters. We had every reason to believe them as their stories connected with each other; there also being no means of communication between them. There happened to be one amongst them that attracted our attention; he had made his way to camp the night before. His flesh was mangled in a horrible manner, which was the reason of his leaving his master. He informed us that his masters were rebels, both of them --- one of them taking an active part, and as near as we could imagine by the description of his uniform, he was a colonel. He also told us that he was in possession of a Confederate Flag which he raised on hearing of a victory on their side. This was too much for us. They living only two miles from us. We took the negro with us to Gen. Phelps's quarters, but it being late in the afternoon the General dismissed us until the next morning. Accordingly we appeared before him, six in number, members of our regiment, and through the influence of our Colonel we procured a pass. Each of us being supplied with arms, such as side arms, revolvers &c, and being furnished with a boat, as we had to cross the river, we set out, accompanied with the slave as our guide. In a short time we arrived at the house of the planter. Our arriving at the door, we inquired of a slave, where his masters were. They immediately came to the door and saluted us in a most respectful manner. The leader of our party soon informed them of our business. A look of scorn passed over his countenance as he declared "he had no such thing in his possession, and if this man," turning to his slave, "has told you so he is a d --- d liar!" This negro confirmed his statements in the face and eyes of his master and boldly told him he had, and furthermore he could show them where they were secreted. We informed the man that we did not come there to be abused nor to abuse any one, but those things we must have. He demanded our authority, and we showed our pass and instructions. He looked at it and returned it with a "boo". "Well I have got a flag and some old clothes here, and you can have them if you want them." We kept one under guard during the time and the other delivered the things. We soon found ourselves in possession of a nice uniform and flag about 20 feet in length, consisting of three stripes and eleven stars which formed a circle in one corner, two stripes were red, the one in the center is white. Upon examining the uniform we found that he had been a Quarter Master; and that he proceeded as far as new Orleans to assist in holding Fort Jackson, but quickly retraced his steps at the sight of the Federal fleet.

During our stay we had occasion to go to the negro quarters, we were told by the slaves that two of their fellow servants were in the stocks confined in the sugar house because their master was afraid they would run away. We called for the keys and entered, they sat on a hard brick floor, a fetter on their legs, and then fastened between two sticks of timber. We broke the stocks and got some tools to cut the fetters. All this time the backs gathered around us in great numbers, he being in possession of 150, and crying, "God bless you, massa! God bless you!"

We returned to camp bringing the negro, clothes, fetters, &c; reported to Gen. Phelps it was almost impossible for us to reach our quarters, the whole brigade being after us, all anxious to see a secesh flag. The result of our journey proved to be the cause of freedom of his slaves. He sent them away and declared he would never have another on his plantation; to cut a long story short, I declare I believe he never will. Nothing of interest occurred until the 1st of July. About 3 o'clock in the morning we were arouse from our slumbers by the noise of the guards and the beating of the long roll. Every man was ordered out that could carry his gun. We turned out with our pieces loaded. In a short time we were ordered back to our tents to hold ourselves in readiness if the long roll should beat again, We soon found that they were trying to see how quick they could turn us out if necessary. I procured a pass and went to New Orleans the same day. It appears to be a wealthy city; what attracted my attention most was the statue of Henry Clay, in the centre of one of the streets, with his right hand extended, and also the statue of Jackson sitting on his horse. They seemed to smile at the sight of the old flag. I then crossed over to Algiers, where the 8th regiment is encamped. The boys, what I saw of them, are very well; it is very unhealthy here, although there has but 9 died in our regiment that I know of, and I am happy to say not one out of our company.

July 4th being a very rainy day here, there has been no chance to celebrate as we would have liked to, though the batteries spoke loud enough to communicate with those of Lake Ponchartrain and New Orleans. We understand Vermont is raising more troops. I hope they will turn out and bring this rebellion to a close, and restore peace and harmony to our country, that we can again boast of our strength and power and civilization as well as arts and sciences.

Yours with respect,

Charles Hogan,

Co. E., 7th Reg., Vt. V.M.




The long hoped for hour at last arrived when the remainder of the 7th Vermont regiment received orders to prepare to go up the river to join the regiment, The remaining company's under charge of Capt. Porter had already arrived from Fort Pike. Those, together with the remnant at Carlton, marched on board the steamer Ceres, same boat on which Captain Brooks was shot. We could see where the ball passed through the smoke-pipe, before striking him. His loss is felt and realized extremely; especially in his own company. We started on the morning of the 30th and landed in this city about one o'clock p.m. of the next day. It was necessary to keep guard of 25 men on deck during the night, with their rifles capped, ready to oppose any who should attempt to molest us from the banks of the river. We enjoyed ourselves very well, in viewing the plantations, some glowing with corn, others with cane. Then the splendid mansions of the rich and wealthy planters, and those that looked more dilapidated and decayed, indicating people of a poorer class.

On arriving here I soon discovered that the 7th had seen everything but soft feather beds, and the affectionate hand of a loving wife, mother or sister to fan their pallid cheek, or drop a sympathizing tear, or utter one word of comfort or consolation to them. They had been at Vicksburg, encamped in a swamp, exposed to the climate with nothing but the starry heavens above. They were surrounded by water and stagnated pools, common in all swamps. Their bed was an old log or a piece of bark, or four little stakes driven into the ground, with one blanket fastened to them, the other over them. That was their bed through fair weather as well as foul, and worse of all, obliged to drink the water of the Mississippi, or some sluggish or stream.The effects of all of this was plain to be seen on the countenances of all those living; but alas! They were not all living, seven of our company had died; amongst them was our dearly beloved officer, Lieutenant Cull. He was a noble, generous officer. We do admit there are men better qualified for military life, yet there was that friendly and sympathizing look about his countenance that caused his men to love and admire him. The names of those that are numbered with the dead are Lieut. Cull, Elias Fletcher, Marshal Babcock, John Emmonds, Ancil Robinson, Ormal Doane, George Hawley, Alanson Fuller. Others I am afraid will go the way of all the earth. Some of them would before now had it not been for the kind and faithful attention of Capt. Landon.He is beloved by all, not merely by his own company, but by all that know him. I cannot but believe the remarks of Doctor Kelly at Surgeon Call's this morning as he cast his eyes from one to the other, "our regiment is ruined." We have been so used up that we could not muster over 60 men, officers and all, on dress parade.

While writing the above, I.W. Streeter, a member of our company, shot his thumb on his right hand. He was busy oiling his gun with his thumb on the muzzle, when it discharged. He was ignorant of it being loaded.

Our drills are short, a few and far between. The provisions we eat are not suitable for the men, being mostly hard crackers, and salt junk. The surgeon recommends vegetables, but it would take the interest of a grog-shop to buy any thing here; a cent a piece for potatoes, onions two for five cents, eggs from 50cts. To 75 cents per dozen. Considering the allotment roll, the two and three dollars we reserve for spending money. will furnish us with many valuables.

Our camp-ground is beautifully located on a level spot of grass ground, directly opposite the 21st Indiana Regiment, with a grove of shade trees in between. The water is clear but warm. It was a rarity to see the little hills or ridges here, but no hill can look as beautiful, no trees as green to the Vermont soldier as he can imagine the Green Mountains would to him.

This contest looks to us like a man contending with a boy that has been stealing his apples. He knows he ought to punish him, yet he is afraid to hurt him. My motto would be: punish severely --- that is our feelings. We either want to either fight or give up. If the private soldiers could have had their own way, this rebellion would have been done away, and peace and harmony restored to our beloved country.

Charles Hogan: Co. E., 7th Vt. Regt.


JULY 6th, 1863

MR. EDITOR: ---- As your paper contains but little in regard to the 7th, perhaps a few words concerning our situation would be interesting to your readers. We have moved from Santa Rosa Island, as you doubtless will hear ere you receive this---on the 20th of June after waiting impatiently for the command to "march", we were at last ordered to sling our knapsacks, and were soon on our way toward the wharf, under the heat of burning sun which was pouring down incessantly upon us; we immediately embarked on a small steamer and were conveyed across the Bay, to occupy the place of the 15th Maine, Volunteers, who were about to leave for New Orleans. We were glad to exchange our encampment for several reasons, one which was on account of the heat of the sun, as it reflected upon the snow white sand, a person would almost require the eyes of an eagle to endure it, and to add to our torment, there was an innumerable amount of fleas, which were beyond the power of man to exterminate; besides an abundance of rattle-snakes, copper-heads, and various other aborigines of the soil.

In reading the NEWSDEALER, the other day,, I found what was said to be an extract taken from a letter, written by a member of our company, to his sister in Cambridge, stating that , " we picked our own raisins-- that wheat was ready to harvest", and &c. This statement is false, and the person that was said to have wrote it declares he never did. Any one acquainted with history, knows that it would be useless to attempt to cultivate such a baron island as Santa Rosa is known to be.

Two companies, A and D of our regiment remained in Fort Pickens. Company's C and I are stationed in the redoubt, a formidable little fortification a short distance from here., and in the rear of Fort Barrancas, Camp Roberts, so called, in honor of Col. Roberts, who lost his life in the Battle of Baton Rouge, is the most commodious and pleasant encampment we have ever occupied.

In consequence of the vast amount of timber and property of all kinds which the 15th accumulated during the evacuation of Pensacola, and were obliged to leave, we have been able to floor our tents, and on account of the decrease of our company, we have sufficient room for bunks, &c. Our company numbers but 39 men rank and file, and three of those are expected to go home immediately, on account of ill health. If we had our complement of men, we would be obliged to lie on the ground. We are situated near Fort Barrancas, on the main land opposite to and about 2 miles from Fort Pickens, seven miles from Pensacola, and near the celebrated Navy Yard, where formerly the Spanish furnished the British and Indians arms and supplies, until Gen. Jackson put a stop to their career in 1818, by capturing some of the most important places. The Yard is now a mass of ruins, having been shelled to atoms by Fort Pickens, when in possession of the rebel Gen.. Bragg. About two miles farther back into the interior of the country, there is a Bayou large enough to admit the passage of small ships. To this Bayou we extend our pickets along at intervals, to watch the movement of the enemy, as they must necessarily cross the Bayou before they attack us. With the exception of some regulars that are stationed in the fortifications, we are the only troops in this district. Three companies of negroes left here a short time since, for New Orleans, they were well uniformed, and appeared to be anxious to meet the enemy. I have no doubt they will show themselves to be fighting men, the first opportunity that presents itself. While here they were engaged in building a stockade, under the superintendence of our first Lieut, George Brown, a competent officer to take charge of such business, as that is a part of his profession. It will be useless for me to say anything in regard to the 4th of July, as our doings here doubtless cannot be compared with the speeches and orations delivered on the occasion in different sections of the Green Mountain State. Though I am doubtful whether you had as smart artillery firing as we had here. At precisely twelve o'clock A.M., a national salute was fired from the gunboats and fortifications. It is unnecessary to say that the 7th , were not behind on the occasion, a detachment being selected from each company, in charge of a non- commissioned officer, those from Company E. in charge of first Sergeant Myron Owen. The artillery firing performed by them deserved praise had they been regular artillery men.

The boys generally were feeling very well, as they received from the commissary department, what they called their little ration.

The health of the regiment is very good at present, the principal disease being fever-- and ague.

To conclude, I will unite my most sincere hopes with those of the regiment, that we may be permitted to witness the downfall of the rebellion, and to enjoy ourselves in peace among the hills and pleasant valleys, on the 4th of July, 1864, in the language of Artemus Ward, "with the fair sex of the Green Mountain State."

Yours Truly,
CO. E. 7th VT. REG.

Submitted by Deanna French.