Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Adams, Charles Abraham


Age: 23, credited to Wallingford, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT CAV
Service: comn 2LT, Co. H, 1st VT CAV, 10/19/61 (11/1/61), pr 1LT, Co. H 10/30/62 (11/8/62), pr CPT, Co H 4/1/63 (6/5/63), wdd, Gettysburg, 7/3/63, wdd, Brandy Station, 10/11/63, pow, Brandy Station, 10/11/63, Columbia, SC, escaped 2/16/65, pr MAJ 11/18/64 (4/20/65), Bvt LTC and COL, each to date from 3/13/65, for gallant and meritorious services in the field, m/o 6/21/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 11/03/1837, Ludlow, VT
Death: 03/11/1902

Burial: Jones Cemetery, Chillicothe, MO
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Bruce & Sandi Pouliot
Findagrave Memorial #: 9691797


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 8/3/1865; widow Mary T., 11/28/1902, MO
Portrait?: Gibson Collection, USAHEC off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice




Jones Cemetery, Chillicothe, MO

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


John Gibson Collection

Charles A. Adams

The Chillicothe Constitution (Chillicothe, MO)
Tuesday - 11 Mar 1902
Took drug to relieve pain and never recovered from its effects - widely known man.
Col. Charles A. Adams, Livingston County's representative in the last Legislature, died suddenly at his home northeast of Chillicothe at 2:30, Tuesday afternoon, from heart failure, caused by an overdose of morphine, taken to alleviate pain.
Col. Adams had been suffering for some time with bowel and rectal trouble. He had been ill for a week or more, but not sufficiently to call a physician. Monday he was suffering so much that he took a dose of morphine in order that he might get some sleep. He took the dose about 6 o'clock, and about 8 o'clock went into his bedroom to sleep. Soon after that he was found to be sinking, and the Drs. Barney were hurriedly summoned to attend him. They worked with him Monday night and again Tuesday morning, but their work was of no avail. The Colonel's heart, evidently weak, had been affected by the morphine and that organ did not respond to treatment. He never recovered consciousness but continued to grow weaker, until the end came at 2:30.
The attending physicians are of the opinion that the dose of morphine taken by Mr. Adams would not have been sufficient to have hurt him if his heart had been in healthy condition. He was not aware of the weakened condition of his heart, and when he sought relief from pain and sleeplessness took a dose that would have only had a mild result with a man in robust health.
The news of Colonel Adams sudden death came as a great shock to the people of Chillicothe, who so loved and respected him. He was a man of the greatest popularity, as was attested by his being elected to the Legislature last fall in a Democratic County. During the many years of his business life here he had made for himself a warm place in the affections of thousands of friends who admired him as a man of vastly superior attainments and noble, manly qualities. No man in the County was more universally liked, and the death of none would have caused more profound sorrow.
Mr. Adams had long been identified with the business interests of Chillicothe. He was a man who transacted business on a large scale and always made a success of it. For many years he had been in the creamery business. Adams butter was the best that the market afforded and had won first premiums at State and national expositions. Subsequently he and his sons engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business. After being in this business several years they closed out their retail business and have since been wholesaling exclusively. The name of Adams & Sons stands high among the merchants of Missouri and adjoining states, because of the irreproachable methods always used by Col. Adams and his sons.
During the last few years Mr. Adams had not been actively engaged in the management of the grocery house. He spent the greater part of his time on his fine farm, northeast of town in Rich Hill Township.
Charles A. Adams was born in Vermont, November 23, 1837. He was educated at Ludlow, Vt., receiving a fine education. When the war broke out he enlisted in the First Vermont Cavalry and was made major. He was discharged in June, 1865, after having served nearly four years. In 1869 he came to Chillicothe and this continued to be his home until the time of his death.
In the summer of 1900 Col. Adams' first wife and the mother of his children died at Mooresville Springs. Last fall he was married to Miss Mamie Todd, who survives him.
Col. Adams was the Republican nominee for Representative in 1900, and was elected, defeating F.K. Thompson by three votes. He was made a member of the Committee on Appropriations and in that capacity served the Industrial Home for Girls well, besides being an able and careful representative.
Besides his wife there survive Col. Adams two sons, C.F. and A.E., associated with him in business, one daughter, Mrs. Carrie Jones of Rich Hill Township; a sister, H. M. Pollard of St. Louis, and a brother, Henry Adams of this county.
Contributed by Erik Hinckley.

Charles Abraham Adams (7) {Abraham (6), Peter (5), Archaelous (4), John (3), Francis (2), Richard (1)} was born in Ludlow, Vt., 3 Nov., 1837. He m. 1st in Andover, Vt., 25 Nov., 1860, Eliza Ann Peabody (b. Andover, 23 Jan., 1833, dau. of Daniel Putnam & Lucinda (Wightman) Clay Peabody of Andover). Eliza d. in Chillicothe, Missouri, 30 July, 1900. Charles m. 2nd in Missouri, 1 Sept., 1901, Miss Mamie Todd (b.--, dau. of Samuel Blair & Sarah (Koy) Todd).
The house Charles was born in was occupied by John G. Sargeant of Ludlow in 1902; Sargeant was the Attorney General of the US under Coolidge. Charles left Ludlow at the age of 17 and enlisted as a volunteer in a Company "H", First Vt. Cavalry. D. W. Bugbee of Ludlow, his friend and companion, was also a member of that company. Charles was appointed First Lieutenant of the company 1 April, 1863. He was appointed Captain of the company at Fairfax Court House, Virginia (mustered in by Jacob Pristol, First Lieut., 5th Michigan Cavalry, 3rd Division Cavalry). These troops were with Kilpatrick in many hard fought campaigns of the Civil War. On 18 Nov., 1864, Charles was appointed Major of Co. "H" and mustered in at Petersburg, Virginia 3 May, 1865. On 24 July, 1867, By Brevet, he was given the title of Lieutenant Colonel, also title of Colonel by the consent of the Senate, "for gallant and meritorious services in the field." His commission was signed by Andrew Johnson, President of the United States in the ninety-second year of the Independence of the United States; and by Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War. Title was given from 13 March, 1865.
Eliza Peabody's brief journal entries for the years 1857-63 (beginning when she was single, 24 years old, and off to work in a textile mill in Massachusetts with her sister Angie), was passed down in the family and owned in 1970 by Julia Adams Jones Elkin of St. Louis. Some of the entries follow:

Lawrence (Mass): 30 July 1857: We left on a beautiful clear day, not a cloud veiled the horizon to hide its clear blueness; all was bright and joyous before us as we departed. We passed a tedious journey, but secure from trouble or difficulty, when we were ushered before new and altogether different scenes to what we are accustomed. Time passed on and with it the regular duties pertaining to factory life. During the tree weeks of our stay here, both pain and pleasure have followed. The enjoyment of uncommon privileges, the delightful scene of the surrounding country, have been pleasurable - the realization of being among so many of all kinds of characters, the impoliteness and cold heartedness manifested by some, and the trials of the employment in which we are engaged, nave called up feelings of homesickness and dread. I can freely say for al the painful emotions felt, the enjoyment has been greatest --am in hopes, at length, to look upon unpleasant scenes with sorrow for such depravity, but unspeakable joy, that good influence also abounds, and that with diligence to our duty, we must strive to the utmost of our capability to impart such. A small, very small part, may work some good.
Simonsville, Vt., 3 Jan., 1858: All alone in the old kitchen; thoughts thronging thick and fast. This evening have been feasting upon the contents of our Lad's Books. In some, finally, in all, I find useful, instructive reading; that which causes me to reflect and study. Being overwhelmed with thoughts as what first to communicate to my journal after so long an absence. I have no idea but that a perusal of what I write will be as puzzling to the reader, as the most complex problem to the mathematician. I am now enjoying home's most transcendent sweets.
January 22, 1858: Very pleasant all day; was at home until evening when by the kind invitation solicited by W. J. Gutterson, we took a sleigh ride to spend the evening at Alonzo's. We had a delightful time singing, dancing, etc. The evening wore rapidly away until twelve o'clock betokened us the time for departure. At precisely twelve I was warned that my twenty-fifth year had actually come to an end. I was taunted, and even jeered at for merriment, that I had turned the corner that was first to pronounce me an old maid.
November 25, 1860: Witnessed the most solemn of all pledges, those of matrimony. The impressions --the realizing sense of the duties involved indelibly stamped on my mind. Stayed in Chester all night. Angie and Warren took supper with us.
New Years Just Past, 1861: ... with its memorable impressions comes surging up the words of one dearer to me than my own life: 'Every day I see in your goodness my own faults." What better calculated to awaken in my heart renewed energy, yea; every effort in my power than this expression. Can I prove myself worthy the noble heart which beats so affectionately for me?
September 15, 1861: A beautiful day, yet so beclouded with sadness. Have been alone, Charlie being absent on business concerning the war. Has just arrived with encouraging news and much elated with the prospects of good success. yet to me this loneliness seems almost insupportable. He is soon to leave again.
October 19, 1861: Another day numbered with the past yet only two in the number of Charlie's absence. Shall I ever cease to weep over these lonely hours? Or will my heart every yield to that perfect submission of God's will? Others are very dear and kind, but what can fill a husband's place in the affections?
October 21, 1861: Our angel Baby came to earth in sweet innocence to gladden her parents' hearts. Charles in Burlington [this on the birth of daughter Carrie].
November 30, 1861: Started for home to visit my mother and friends in Andover. My Babe very good so that my journey was indeed pleasant. Found Warren and Angie also at home to greet me. Many exclamations of wonder at our babe.
December 2, 1861: Putnam went with Warren and Angie to the depot and brought home Charles. Came in to our surprise. Returned Thursday. Went to the street with him.
February 12, 1862: Went to Chester with Putnam, leaving my babe at home. Made a few purchases and took from the library, Disk's Moral Philosophy. War items very favorable on the Federal side. Little Carrie lies sleeping at my left hand. Precious babe, given to bless me in my loneliness. I often think that were it not for her, my heart would wander too long and unceasingly. Before she came to bless us, I thought I had experienced feelings of tenderness, but not in comparison with those in connection with herself.
April 27, 1862: My husband's devoted affection, manifested in his frequent communications and the love which our darling child awakens, alone, are more than I merit, I am sure.
August 23, 1863: All alone in the enjoyment of my thoughts and feelings. Father and Mariel in Saratoga, mother at church and Carrie asleep.
September 4, 1863: Frank (Charles Francis), was born August 25, 1863). Eleven days have they kept me upon my bed during which time my heart has seemed to overflow with blessings. Our little son ... [this is the last page of the diary that survived]

After the war, Vermont was not as exciting as before for many of the returning soldiers. Colonel Adams and his brother Henry and their families went West in 1867, and settled eventually, in Livingston County, Missouri in the town of Chillicothe. He was a very prominent man in his community and represented his County in the State Legislature. An article in the local newspaper of Chillicothe in 1915 said: "the most useful and widely known enterprise in the history of Rich Hill Township was the Adams Creamery, situated on the southwest corner of the northwest quarter of Section 28. On 20 Nov., 1868, Mr. Adams purchased that section and in a very short time had built and equipped an up-to-date creamery. From a small beginning it grew to a wonderful enterprise.
Adams' butter was as staple as sterling gold in any market. Adams labored with earnest zeal to make the business go; friends stood by him, and he stood by his friends. An enemy he never had. He was perhaps the most widely loved man in Livingston County." In 1887 at the American Dairy Show in Chicago, Mr. Adams was awarded the blue ribbon Sweepstakes Premium for butter. In 1894 at the St. Louis Fair he was awarded First Premium for his butter. Charles had experience during the war in Libby Prison for a time, and while there because acquainted with Fred Harvey. Later when Mr. Harvey and his son Ford established a well-known chain of "Harvey Restaurants" on the Santa Fe Railroad line, Mr. Adams sold them butter that went as far as the west coast. The Adams creamery grew into a retail grocery store in Chillicothe, then into a large wholesale grocery business in 1889 when his sons, and his son-in-law, Dick Jones, joined him. Charles went back to Vermont to visit his cousin Lowell P. Adams in Ludlow and to call on many old friends in 1899. He retired from the business in 1900.
Charles d. very suddenly of inflammation of the bowels and heart failure at his home in Chillicothe, Missouri, 11 March, 1902 (age 64). He is buried in the Jones cemetery in Chillicothe, Missouri.
Children (5-5, born Chillicothe, Mo):

1. Carrie, b. Wallingford, Vt. 21 Oct., 1861. She m. 25 Nov., 1881, Thomas 'Dick' Jones (b. Burkesville, Kentucky, 25 May, 1853, son of Thomas Ewers & Julia (Hutchins) Jones). Carrie was seven years old when her parents moved to Missouri. Dick Jones came with his parents in 1857 from Cumberland County Kentucky. His father came overland in covered wagons bringing his family, slaves, and household goods to Livingston County Missouri near Chillicothe. Dick was a successful farmer and inherited his father's place. He was also in business with his father-in-law. He retired from the operation in 1900. Dick d. in Chillicothe, 22 Dec., 1914. Carrie d. in St. Louis, 25 Sept., 1947. [7 children]
2. Charles Francis "Frank", b. Wallingford, Vt., 25 Aug., 1863. He m. 16 May, 1888, Mary Jane Jones (b. Chillicothe, Mo, 21 Nov., 1863, dau. of Thomas Ewers & Julia (Hutchins) Jones). He was well regarded his community and was elected Mayor of Chillicothe. He was the first president of the Pike's Peak Ocean-to-ocean Highway, and State President of the Good Roads Association. He d. in Chillicothe, 30 Jan., 1933. Mary d. 20 Aug., 1958. [6 children]
3. Minnie Esther, b. 26 April, 1868 ........ d. 11 Sept., 1869.
4. Albert Edwin, b. 31 Aug., 1871. He m. 3 Feb., 1897, Elizabeth Henry. He d. San Diego, Calif., 8 July, 1956.
5. Jennie Louise, b. 22 Feb., 1875 ....... d. 15 April, 1876.

Contributed by Linda M. Welch.