Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

French, Charles Ormsbee


Age: 23, credited to Burlington, VT
Unit(s): 12th VT INF
Service: enl 8/23/62, m/i 10/4/62, CPL, Co. C, 12th VT INF, m/o 7/14/63 [College: UVM 61]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/24/1839, Williston, VT
Death: 07/13/1911

Burial: Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 23351446


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 3/18/1907, NY
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: UVM
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See Benedict's Army Life in Virginia


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Charles Ormsbee French Who Died In California on July 13.

Burlington, July 21. - The body of Charles Ormsbee French, who died in Riverside, Cal., Thursday, July 13, is on the way to Burlington for burial.

Mr. French died at the home of his son, Judge George A. French, after an illness of less than a week, aged 72 years. He was born in Williston, Vt., February 24, 1839, his father being David French, a graduate of U. V. M., in the class of 1813, and a prominent lawyer of his time residing on Burlington until his death in 1872. Charles O. French entered the university with the class of 1861, but remained in college only a year. He entered the Twelfth Vermont Volunteers and served with distinction in the Civil war, being breveted captain.

At the close of the war he engaged in the book and stationery business for several years, having a store in The Times building at the corner of Church and Main streets. He then went to Colorado as president of the Dolores Valley Mining Company. After six years' stay in Colorado he returned to New York and took a position in the New York branch of the great English publishing house of Longmans, Green & Co., and continued to occupy this position up to a year ago, when he resigned and removed to Riverside, making his home ever since with the family of his son.

Source: Barre Daily Times, July 21, 1911
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.