Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map
Nelson, George Harvey
Age: 18, credited to Marshfield, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 12/12/63, m/i 12/31/63, Pvt, Co. D, 2nd VT INF, dis/wds, 5/24/65
See Legend for expansion of abbreviationsVITALS
Birth: 09/06/1846, Woodbury, VT
Burial: St. Johnsbury Center Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT
Marker/Plot: Section G Block 8 Lot 191
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 110889385
Alias?: None Noted
Pension?: Yes, 12/16/65
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)
(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)
St. Johnsbury Center Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.
Last surviving Civil War veterans of Grand Army of the Republic Chamberlain Post #1, St. Johnsbury, Vermont
Library of Congress
Death Of George H. Nelson Leaves Two G.A.R. Veterans
The death yesterday of George Harvey Nelson 94 of 8 Prospect avenue removes one of the three remaining St Johnsbury Civil War veterans and leaves only four throughout the entire state according to Charles A Hever state commander and commander of the local Camberlarn Post No 1. Heyer and Moody Evans of St Johnsbury Center are the only G.A.R. members in town.
Nelson was born in Woodbury Sept. 6, 1846 and enlisted in the Second Vermont regiment Dec. 12, 1863. He took part in the Battle of the Wilderness and was wounded in action after the Battle of Spotylvania (sic). He was honorably discharged March 24, 1864 and returned to Vermont, making his home in St Johnsbury during the past few years.
The veteran was married twice and is survived by a wife, daughter and two sons, To his son Allan Morris Nelson, of St. Johnsbury goes the honor of being the youngest member of the Sons of Veterans in the United States. Young Nelson, now 22 years of age, was initiated in St.Johnsbury by special dispensaiton on April 10, 1934.
Source: The Caledonian Record, 3 Jan 1942.