Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Noe, Joseph


Age: 22, credited to Weathersfield, VT
Unit(s): 7th VT INF, 3rd VT INF
Service: enl 12/11/61, m/i 2/12/62, Pvt, Co. A, 7th VT INF, m/o 2/25/63; substitute - enl 8/10/63, m/i 8/10/63, PVT, Co. G, 3rd VT INF, dsrtd 6/3/64, rtrnd under Presidential Proclamation 4/25/65, m/o 5/12/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1841, Canada
Death: 10/07/1911

Burial: Pleasant Street Cemetery, West Rutland, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Jennifer Snoots
Findagrave Memorial #: 11541514


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 5/6/1884, VT; widow Sarah, 2/19/1912, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Pension shows service in both units. See information on Presidential Proclamation


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Pleasant Street Cemetery, West Rutland, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Joseph Noe

Rutland Daily Herald, Nov. 8, 1911:

Joseph Noe, a veteran of the Civil war, died suddenly on Marble street, West Rutland, Tuesday morning about 8 o'clock, probably of heart failure. Noe, a stranger, to the town, had been employed for the past week on the small farm of William Chamberlain on the Castleton road, and it was found by communicating with Mr. Chamberlain that Mr. Noe had finished his work at the place Monday night and had come into town on the trolley cars Tuesday morning, intending to go to Troy, this state, where he claimed he had a wife living. He had been to the Delaware and Hudson station and had baggage checked to Rutland, and on his way down Marble street, he had reached a point nearly in front of the livery stable of C.H. Campbell, where he inquired about car time to Rutland.

Mr. Noe started to move down the street, but had gone only a short distance when he fell to the sidewalk.

Mr. Campbell immediately went to his aid and with the assistance of C.E. New, in front of whose blacksmith shop the fall happened, and they helped the man to the steps of the store of W.A. Thrall, where before he passed away he was able to tell about himself. Dr. C.B. Ross was immediately summoned.

Mr. Noe was a man between 65 and 70 years of age, and from government envelopes which he had in his pockets, together with his pension papers, it would seem that he was of a roving disposition or that he had relatives in different localities where he had been stopping. One envelope bore the address of Middle Granville, N.Y., where another was addressed to him at Littleton, N.H. From the pension papers he had in his pocket it was learned that he was a member of Company G, third Vermont volunteers and that at the time of his death was receiving a pension of $12 a month.

It was also learned from other papers which he had in his pocket that he had a son, Fred Noe, at North Troy. After viewing the body, Health Officer Ross ordered it removed to the undertaking rooms of C.H. Campbell and he immediately telegraphed to Mr. Noe's son at North Troy.

Rutland Daily Herald, Nov. 11, 1911:

The funeral of Joseph Noe, who died suddenly on the street at West Rutland Tuesday morning was held From the residence of C.H. Campbell on Main street yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The bearers were N.J. Fuller, C.J. Parker, D.C. Simonds, Charles Walker and C. Congdon of this place, and William Potter of Rutland, all members of the Grand Army of which Mr. Noe was a member. The burial was in the Pleasant street cemetery. Rev. G.E. Robbins, pastor of the Methodist church, officiated at the house and the grave.

A letter was received by Health Officer C.B. Ross from Mrs. Joseph Noe Friday morning asking about Mr. Noe's personal effects and his pension papers which she would like to have sent to her, but she made no inquiry as to what had been done with the body of her husband. She wanted to know what had become of his horse. When Noe went to West Rutland he had no team but an investigation revealed the fact that he did have a horse and wagon and had been for some time earning a livelihood for himself and family by making fancy baskets and tables and with a load of these he would at times absent himself from home for some time.

It is claimed that he has been a resident of Middle Granville, N.Y. for some time and that while away on one of these trips a short time ago, his wife closed their home and went to the home of her son at Troy. At the time of his death he had in his pocket $7.29, so that it would seem that he was obliged to part with his team in order to raise his car fare to get to Troy.

Courtesy of Jennifer Snoots.