Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Goss, Story Norman


Age: 30, credited to Georgia, VT
Unit(s): 9th VT INF
Service: comn ASURG, 9th VT INF, 9/26/62 (10/7/62), resgd 10/15/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/07/1831, Unknown
Death: 04/27/1905

Burial: Highland Cemetery, Chelsea, VT
Marker/Plot: 191
Gravestone photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 74922090


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 12/16/1887, VT; widow Ann E., 5/19/1905, VT
Portrait?: Gibson Collection, Jones Collection, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: If this soldier enlisted before 9/1/62, and was with the regiment on 9/13/62, he would have briefly been taken prisoner along with the entire regiment at Harper's Ferry. Read the unit's Organization and Service for details.


Great Grandfather of Mira Coleman, Wilton, ME

Great Grandfather of Ann Elizabeth Flatt, Princeton, MA

2nd Great Grandfather of Carine Nicole Flatt Newberry, Oakton, VA

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Highland Cemetery, Chelsea, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection



Story and Ann Eliza (Vincent) Goss

VHS - 9th Vermont Infantry Album (V2)


John Gibson Collection


Dewey Jones Collection

Story N. Goss

Goss, Story N., of Chelsea, son of Abel and Amanda (Hebard) Goss, was born in Waterford, Feb. 7, 1831. His father was a farmer, and Story remained upon the farm until he was twenty-three years old.
Educated at the public schools of Waterford and later at the academies of St. Johnsbury and Chelsea, he commenced to study medicine with Doctors Bancroft and Newell at St. Johnsbury and afterwards with Prof. E. R. Peasley of Dartmouth College. He graduated in 1856 from the medical department of Dartmouth College and in 1857 he received a degree from the Medical College of New York. Later he accepted an appointment as senior physician on the staff of Dr. Sanger at Blackwell's Island. Remaining there one year he returned to Vermont and commenced the practice of his profession in Georgia, where he continued to live till the breaking out of the civil war.
Dr. Goss was married Jan. 4, 1858, to Ann Eliza daughter of Stephen and Phoebe (Hale) Vincent of Chelsea, and four children have been born to them: Arthur Vincent, Harry Hale, Walter Story, and Annie E.
Dr. Goss was commissioned assistant surgeon 9th Regt. Vt. Vols., Sept. 26, 1862, and ordered to report to the general hospital at Brattleboro. Here he remained till April when he received orders to join his regiment in the field, previous to which he was presented with a sword by the patients and attendants of the Brattleboro institution in token of their high appreciation of his valuable services. Continuing with the 9th Regt. in the vicinity of Yorktown, he was compelled to resign in October, 1863, as he was stricken down with malarial fever. Partially recovering, his zeal for the cause led him to re-enlist as acting assistant surgeon, U. S. A., and was ordered again to Brattleboro and shortly afterwards to Fairfax Seminary Hospital, Va., at the time when the battles of the Wilderness were fought. For a third time he was stationed at Brattleboro and later at Burlington until the close of the war.
After his discharge from the service he returned to Georgia and remained there till 1870, when he settled in Chelsea and has practiced his profession there ever since.
Dr. Goss was one of the original members, who constituted Waterson Post, No. 45, G.A.R. He has been a Republican from his youth. He was for several years superintendent of schools at Georgia and also at Chelsea. Dr. Goss stands high in his profession as a public-spirited citizen and has been for a long time the public health officer of the town in which he resides.

Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 161.



Death of a Prominent Chelsea Physician, After Long Suffering.

Dr. Story Norman Goss was born in Lower Waterford, Vt., Feb. 7, 1832, being the son of Abel and Amanda (Hibbard) Goss. His father was a native of Waterford and his mother of Lebanon, N.H. He studied at St. Johnsbury academy and taught considerably in his early manhood. Taking up the study of medicine, he graduated from Dartmouth Medical college in the fall of 1856, and then went to New York for further study, graduating from the New York Medical college in the spring of 1857.

After some time spent in hospital practice in New York, he established himself in practice at Georgia, Vt., in 1858, and made his home there until 1870. For a year from the fall of 1863, he was assistant surgeon of the 9th Regt., Vt. Vols., and for the next two years he served as acting assistant surgeon, U.S.A., being chiefly employed in hospital work in Virginia and Vermont.

In 1870 he removed from Georgia to Chelsea and remained in active practice until last fall, when, in failing health, he surrendered the field to Dr. A.T. Marshall, to whom he sold his house. During these years he has been the "beloved physician" of many families scattered over a wide range of country, and has been recognized far and wide as a physician of much skill in the great variety of cases which encounter the general practitioner, and especially in the older type of surgery, which has to do with fractures and injuries of all kinds. He was often called in council, especially in cases of the latter kind. He never failed in the closest attention to any serious case which called for his services, whatever might be the prospect of pecuniary compensation. A physician must perforce gain knowledge of many family secrets, and these Dr. Goss always kept in the strictest confidence. These traits explain to some extent the affectionate regard in which he has been held in this and adjoining towns.

It has been said above that failing health caused his surrender of practice. His disease progressed rapidly from the early part of the winter and baffled all treatment. It took the form of ascending spinal paralysis and was attended with great pain, from which little relief could be found, and which he bore with great fortitude and patience and with a constant care for the comfort of others and a deep appreciation of the sympathy manifested by his many friends. For the last few days he failed rapidly, and the end came on the afternoon of Thursday, April 27.

Dr. Goss was always deeply interested in education, and for many years was a leader in the effort to maintain good schools in this village. For a long time he was prudential committee under the old district system, and has been for many years a member of the trustees of Chelsea academy. When he came to Chelsea he became by letter a member of the Cong'l church of this town, and was always a regular attendant on its services and closely interested in its welfare. He was also prominently connected with Waterson Post, G.A.R.

Jan. 13, 1858, he was married to Anne Eliza, daughter of Stephen and Phoebe (Hale) Vincent of Chelsea, and she, with all their four children survives him. These children are: - Dr. Arthur V. of Taunton, Mass., Harry H. of providence, R.I., Walter S., who left his work in Montpelier to care for his father in his last months, and Annie E., the wife of Dr. J. Euclid Fish of Melrose, Mass.

A beautiful and appropriate funeral service was held on Saturday afternoon at the Cong'l church and was conducted by the pastor of the deceased, Rev. H.J. Wyckoff. Mr. Hathaway, organist of the Church of the Messiah, Montpelier, presided at the organ. There were abundant and beautiful floral tributes, and the regard of the community was shown by the large attendance. Large delegations from Waterson Post and the Relief Corps and a number of Sons of Veterans had a special place assigned them in the church, and the Post acted as an unsolicited and highly appreciated escort to and from the Highland cemetery.

Source: Morrisville News and Citizen, May 4, 1905
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.