Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Greenleaf, Charles F.


Age: 19, credited to Salisbury, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 5/13/61, m/i as PVT, Co. K, 2nd VT INF, 6/20/61, reen 1/31/64, pr CPL 4/1/64, pr SGT 10/18/64, pr 1SGT 2/6/65, wdd, Spotsylvania, 5/12/64, (hospital ship 'Maine,' Carver Hosp., DC until 8/8/64), wdd, Winchester, 9/19/64, comn 1LT, 6/7/65 (6/17/65), m/o 7/15/65 as 1SGT

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/03/1843, Pittsford, VT
Death: 07/23/1920

Burial: Greenwood Cemetery, St. Albans, VT
Marker/Plot: Section B
Gravestone photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 14671917


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/31/1880, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: VT
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 5th death at the Bennington Soldiers' Home in 1920.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Greenwood Cemetery, St. Albans, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Charles F. Greenbush

Bennington Banner
July 24, 1920
Vermonter Who Served Four Years
In Civil War
Charles F. Greenbush died at the Soldiers' Home Friday, July 23. He had been ill for some weeks before being taken to the hospital, but rapidly grew worse until a hemorrhage was the immediate cause of his death. Burial at St. Albans.
He was born on a farm in Pittsford Dec. 3, 1843, While quite young his parents removed to Rochester and later to Salisbury, where, June 7, 1861, he enlisted in a company of which Solon Easton was captain, originally designed for the 3d Vermont and was with that regiment at its rendezvous at St. Johnsbury. While there it was learned that the 2d Vermont lacked one company and Capt. Easton's was assigned to the 2d as Company K, as such participating in the battle of Bull Run.
He re-enlisted Jan. 31, 1864; was successively promoted corporal, sergeant, first sergeant, and commissioned first lieutenant, but, because of the depleted ranks of his company, was not mustered as such but was mustered out as first sergeant July 15, 1865; was wounded at Spotsylvania May 12, 1864, and again at the battle of Opequan Sept. 19, 1864.
After leaving the army he entered the railway service with the Central Vermont and was for many years an engineer on that and other railroads in Vermont, Canada, and the West. At one time he ran a stationary engine at the Waterbury granite quarries, and later was employed in a woolen mill at Winooski, where he was living when he came to the Home, April 27, 1908. He also lived in St. Albans several years. His wife died some years ago, leaving a daughter, Ida M., now living in East Berkshire.
Although having little more than a common school education he was an unusually intelligent man, and his retentive memory enabled him to relate with exactitude the more important events of his long army service and of the world generally.
Contributed by Tom Boudreau.