Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Pomeroy, Lorenzo L. Jr.


Age: 20, credited to Highgate, VT
Unit(s): 13th VT INF
Service: enl 9/11/62, m/i 10/10/62, Pvt, Co. K, 13th VT INF, dis/dsb 2/18/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1842, Franklin, VT
Death: 04/29/1866

Burial: Episcopal Church Cemetery, Highgate, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 63289583


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, father Lorenzo, 9/20/1890, VT, not approved
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 13th Vt. History off-site


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Episcopal Church Cemetery, Highgate, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


LORENZO L. POMEROY, JR. volunteered from the town of Highgate about September 1st, 1862, and joined Highgate company September 11th, the day of its organization. His age was 20, occupation a farmer and a single man. Was of average height, size and weight, and fairly good looking, a hale and strong young man. His education had been acquired in the district schools of his native town, and his general appearance indicated good birth and careful training. My first acquaintance was on the date of the election of company officers. He was a little reserved with strangers and slow to become acquainted with. Mark Best, of our company, said after introducing me, that Lorenzo was shy of strangers, was a good natured fellow and that I would find him all right. I recall that he entered into the few days' drill on the village green in front of Johnson's hotel with the zeal and determination to become proficient and useful as soon as any. He was not as active as some, but made good progress in the military drill there taught. After we arrived and were located in our first real camp, which we called Camp Vermont, all of us soon began to realize that army life was no child's play, and that only vigorous constitutions and faithful care would enable us to endure the service, and return to our homes. Snow fell unusually early for the beginning of a Virginia winter as we were told by those who lived in that locality, commenced falling as early as November 7th, and continued all day just like Vermont weather, seven or eight inches deep, and it was cold. We were not prepared yet for winter, cotton cloth tents, rather poor to protect us, for boys that had been brought up to live in a well built, warm house, with plenty of fire to keep them warm. We, of course, knew that our houses were to consist of cloth tents, and no fire Inside, but snow came so suddenly we were not ready, and many suffered with cold and some contracted bad coughs that lasted a long while. When on the picket line, a mile or so south, we did not even have tents and made fires of rails, houses of cornstalk and straw. We were soon on the march to Union Mills, in the night so dark that it was impossible to see where we were going, raining fast and mud deep, roads almost impassable. We marched during the night near to Bull Run battlefield, remained about a week, and on December 5th marched back to our Camp Vermont In another snow storm, and camped down in the snow without tents. In a few days we again marched off to Fairfax Court House December 12th, waited there some days for tents to arrive, camping on the cold, wet ground until they came, and it was arduous duty all the time, picket duty out on Bull Run and Centreville, brigade drill or regimental drill most every day, Sundays not excepted, and on the 20th day of January, 1863, we marched to Wolf Run Shoals, some twelve miles south. These marches and exposure and mode of living was too much for young Pomeroy, and he was taken sick and was discharged for disabilty in February, and sent home. Pomeroy was not calculated for army life. On his arrival home soon began to Improve, but never fully recovered from the results of soldier life. He lived a few years and died at Highgate, and is buried in that town.

Source: Sturtevant's Pictorial History, Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865, p. 740