Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Reed, Carolus Alonzo


Age: 20, credited to Hyde Park, VT
Unit(s): 3rd VT INF
Service: enl 6/1/61, m/i 7/16/61, Pvt, Co. E, 3rd VT INF, dis/dsb 3/17/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 05/08/1841, Hyde Park, VT
Death: 03/25/1863

Burial: Lakeview Cemetery, Morristown, VT
Marker/Plot: 2
Gravestone photographer: Denis & Karen Jaquish
Findagrave Memorial #: 17125245


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, mother LavinaB., 7/22/1878
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


Great Granduncle of Matthew Reed, Hyde Park, VT

Great Granduncle of Jack M. Boardman, St. Paul, MN

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Lakeview Cemetery, Morristown, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Carolus A. Reed




MR. EDITOR: --- We have got to the land of the enemy all safe and sound. We left St. Johnsbury at about 7 o'clock, July 24th, amid the cheers of the inhabitants. We had a pleasant ride to Bellows Falls, where we were treated to hot coffee and bunns, and were all cheered by the crowd, which, by the way, was quite large. At Brattleboro we met with such a reception as the soldiers of the 3d Vt. Regt. Will never forget, and were furnished with all we could eat in the way of pies, pickles, dried beef, cakes, and coffee, that was "coffee", and our well filled haversacks showed that there was a good share left. When we started we sent up three hearty cheers for the people of Brattleboro. We arrived at New Haven at 10 P.M., we took a steamer here for Jersey City, where we arrived at 6 in the morning. We stopped here until 3 P.M., when we took the cars to Philadelphia, where we arrived about 11 P.M. We were marched up to the hot coffee hall, built for the purpose of feeding the volunteers that passed through there. We got all we wanted to eat and plenty of good coffee. We got ready to start at 3 A.M., but for some cause we didn't get started until 4 o'clock; we arrived at 2 in the afternoon, then we had a march of two miles with all our accoutrements on; a heavy knapsack, haversack, canteen, gun &c. I never knew what it was to be tired before; some of the men fainted in the street. When we halted we were glad to lie down in the street or any other place where there was room enough for a man to lie; we did not mind about the dirt. At 10 P.M. we took the cars from Washington, where we arrived about 12. Here we were lodged in some old churches for the night; in the morning we found our breakfast the best way we could; at 1 P.M. we were mustered together and marched 7 miles from Washington to what is called Georgetown Heights. We encamped a few rods from the Chain Bridge that the rebels held for some time. The 6th Maine Regt. guarded the bridge with 12 pieces of artillery and one or two mortars. Our pickets extend 2 miles the other side of the river. Tuesday an alarm was given that 500 rebels were within 2 miles of our camp; our regiment sent out 200 men, the Maine Regt. 300, and 100 cavalry, which was encamped near us went out; they were gone but a short distance when a man in the Springfield Company was accidentally shot through the leg. They marched 7 miles without overtaking the enemy which was about half an hour ahead of them. The detachment of the 3d Vt. Regt. took 7 horses, and returned to camp.

It is very warm here now, this month is called the hottest and most unhealthy of the season, there is a good many sick. The Dr told me that there were 126 on the sick list today. Our rations are very poor, and what we buy we have to pay very high for, cheese is 25 cents per pound, milk 10 cents per quart, butter 50 cents per lb., and everything accordingly.

Yours truly,

C. A. Reed

Submitted by Deanna French.

Wolcott Library Collection


AUGUST 30, 1861.

Dear Father & Mother, Brothers and Sister:

I am going to write you a good long letter, now don't be frightened when you see this sheet. I received your welcome latter last night and was very glad to hear that you are all well. I was on guard yesterday and last night and it rained about all the time, but I have nothing to do today until 5 p.m., so I have plenty of time to write. I will give you some account of how we live.& what we have to do,&c. our rations are much better now than when we first came here. We bake our own bread, we have some corn meal which we bake into hot cakes. Perhaps you should like to know how we bake it well we take some corn ribs which bend over and forms an arch then we cover with brick and dirt. Then we build a fire in the arch and when it gets well heat up the fire is taken out and the dough which is in large pans is put in and baked. Our cook room is all out doors and when it rains ( which by the way is pretty often here) everything gets soaked. Our tents are for five to lodge in.We are now furnished with sacks of straw to sleep on which are quite comfortable. My tent mates are Wm. Crowell, H. Earle, V. Lilley, W. Woodbury and are all good boys. We are called out at 5. We drill and shoot at a mark about 4 hours everyday. If a soldier gets drunk or cuts any sin he has to carry on his back 60 to 70 pounds of sand 4 hours out of 6 for 24 hours. There are eight out of the Brigade at it now Within a few rods of where I write, then nothing to be seen or heard but parading of Regts, the running of Horses Men, and the rolling of the artillery and the firing of cannons.

Last Wednesday our Brigade was reviewed by Gen. McClellan and staff, in presence of PRESIDENT LINCOLN, Secretary Cameron, Govanor Chase of Ohio and LINCOLNS SON, after we had got formed onto our Parade ground, and all waiting for Gen McClellan and PRESIDENT LINCOLN accompanied by Gov. Chase of Ohio drove up in front of our Battalion, they were in a rich but plain carage drawn by Bay horses and drove here by a black. The carage was trimmed with silver and was the nicest one I ever saw. The PRESIDENT is very pleasant ( and very homely) looking man he was plainly dressed in Black and seemed to have a very easy way with him. He stood up in the carage as we marched along so I had a chance to see him. Col. Hyde shook hand with him. I like his looks much. Secretery Cameron is an old looking man, should think about 50. GOV. Chase is a fine looking man about 50. Cameron and LINCOLNS SON road in the same carage. I should think he was about 20 and looked like all boys of his age, nothing very smart. So I had a chance to see some of the world and some big men since I left Vt. Last.

Tuesday our Company went on a scout with one other Company from this Regiment and one piece of artillery and one company of Cavalry Over into Virginia about six miles, but the Rebels run so we did not catch any.

The country about here is very rough and uneven and appears to be all run out. The inhabitants in this quarter are the poorest kind and I dont see what they live on. There is a good many hogs and goats left and run at large. About all the carages that I have seen hence I came here (except those from the city) resembles Bennettes old 2 horse wagon only those here is but two wheeled.

I have written a letter to Elroy R. but have never received any answer. I received a letter from Mrs. Page and Carroll night before last, you had ought to see what letter Mrs. Page writes.They are long and have all the little news in them. Carroll says that they are not satisfied if the don't receive 3 letters from Frank and myself per week.I am sorry that Madona and Cornilus could not write in the last letter but hope they will make it up in the next. I was glad to see that letter from you it was a good one and well written to. I am glad you have done so well this hay season. You don't farm it much as they do out here, one such farmer as you is worth a hundred of them.

David, I suppose you are a good boy and work as smart as ever. Madona I send you a twig that I picked off from a tree that stood on the Banks of the Potomac. I don't know what kind of a tree it is. Father you will make well this fall. I guess I want you should write all about how well you do.

We expect to get some pay the last week of the month. If I do I shall send you some. I am all but out now. Mother, I read a chapter in my testement every day, and can see what chapter I read every day by looking in your testement. I read the 9th Chapter of St. Luke, and read right along by yours.

I enjoy myself well and am contented. I look forward to the arival of your letter, and now is this a good long one, and I should want you write me one as long as this. Give my love to all my frends and write all the small town news. The mail has just come but guess there is nothing for me.

Good by for the present---Carlos.


I received the paper you sent me.

I am going to Washington tomorrow if I can get a pass.

If this isn't long enough will write more next time.

Mother, please write about the nabors if they are well & about the Military at Centerville, and what is W. Bast doing.

Courtesy of Sally Gardner, Wolcott Library.


C. A. Reed, formerly in the employ of R. S. Page, of this village, under the date of Camp Smith, September 18, writes to Mr. Pages son, from which we extract as follows:---

We expect to have some fighting to do before long; our Brigade went out last night and took 53 head of Cattle and one or two wagons. There is hardly any inhabitants about here now, they have left crops, furniture and all, and the soldiers have taken what they could find. Frank is encamped about half a mile from here and I have not had time to go and see him. All the Hyde Park boys are well except Wm. Crowell, he is a little down, but I guess he will be alright in a few days. Col. Hyde looks tough as a bear, and is much liked by the regiment; he makes a good officer. Leo is smart. My health is good and I am perfectly contented, and enjoy myself first-rate. Reuben Cleveland looks rather slim. Sherry has left the hospital and is in the ranks. Terry Roddy was over here a few days since, he looks much better than when I first saw him. We have lost five men since we left Vermont, two boys by sickness, two by a shell thrown from the rebels, and one cut his throat.

I understand there is some "fight" in the company raised in Lamoille Co., they can have a chance here to do all they want to in that line when they get here. We shall move on a little further before long and build another battery. I hope the time will come when Frank and I will take our old places in your employment, and everything be as of old.

Excuse the shortness of this, as I have but little time to spare this morning. Give my best wishes to your father.

LAMOILLE NEWSDEALER; NOV. 8th & 14th, 1861

C. A. Reed writes his father, in this town, from Camp Griffin, on the 14th inst., and says that he recently received a box from home, which was full of such things as a soldier needs. It contained a rubber overcoat, a pair of boots, a pair of gloves, blankets, undershirts, socks,towels, handkerchiefs, dried beef, butter, cheese, sugsr, honey, preserves, raspberry jam, cakes, fruit cake, cookies, dough-nuts, paper, pens, pencils, and other things such as only parents would think of sending. He said, when he opened the box and found it nicely filled, it made him think of the many kind friends he left in Hyde Park. He says, "Father I want you to say to all the neighbors and friends who contributed towards filling that box, that I thank them most sincerely for remembering me while in the land of war and danger."

Mr. Page, Dear Sir: --- I was very much pleased with the dozen pairs of socks you sent me. I was in much need of them. I gave Vaness Lilley, Wm. Crowell, Hiram Earle, and Wm. Woodbury a pair each. As they were out of socks, we all send our thanks. The boys are all smart, but are some affected by the cold weather. It's rather tough to be called out at 2 o'clock in the morning, and swing on our knapsacks, and march off 2 or 3 miles and then stand on picket 24 hours without any fire. Things are about the same here as they have been for the last three months; and there is no more prospect of a fight, as I can see. We have advanced but four miles for two months; and at that rate, we shall not get a great way south by winter. All of the Vermont regiments are encamped near by. There is no knowing where we shall winter; we may winter here where we are now. It's almost roll-call, so I must close.
From, C. A. Reed



The writer of the following will be remembered by many as a young man who was some time in the employ of R.S. Page, as a peddler. He enlisted in Capt. Blanchard's company, 3d Regiment. He writes to Mr. Page:


I wish you all a Happy New year! I am almost ashamed that I have not written before, but we have been moving and had a great deal to do, so I have not much time to write. I would like to know what you are all doing to-day in Hyde Park. I will tell you how I have spent the day so far. It is a very pleasant day here and there is not any snow. It's like an October day. This morning I went over to the 5th, and saw the Hyde Park boys. I found them enjoying New years as well as they could in a soldier's tent. They all seemed to be in good health and spirits. From the 5th, I went over to the soldier's burying-ground, and saw one of the 5th boys buried, and as I looked around on many new made graves and thought that all of those that were sleeping beneath my feet were one year ago with their friends, in health, and looking forward to many years of happiness. But now they lie in a distant State, far from home and friends. They died without the soothing presence of a beloved mother, or dear sister to make their last moments easy. With sadness I turned my steps toward my tent, thinking of how many changes there has been, and how startling were the events of the past year. What will the next year bring forth; will it bring peace and happiness to our beloved country? It is my desire that in less than one year this rebellion may be put down and Jeff Davis hung.

Col Hyde does all he can for the comfort of his men. We are well provided with blankets, &c. There has not been any snow here this winter. My health is good, and I am getting quite fat.



Hampton Roads MARCH 26, 1862
Dear father and Mother --- I take this chance to write you a few lines. We arrived at this place last night. When I last wrote to you we were in Alexandria. We left there last Sunday morning and got onto the boat about 2 o'clock, p.m. Just at dark we got into the river and anchored for the night. We had a pretty good steamboat but was awfully crowded. I went down into the hold and slept, and had a good nights rest. Monday morning we started down the river for Fortress Monroe. There was not much to be seen, as we went down the river, except Fort Washington and Mount Vernon, which we could plainly see from the deck of the steamer. The Potomac is very wide all the way from Alexandria to the Chesapeake bay. In some places it is 7 or 8 miles wide. Monday night we anchored in the mouth of the river, as the wind blew so hard that the captain did not dare to go into the bay. Tuesday morning we started and arrived at Fortress Monroe at 3 p.m. We stopped at the Fortress a little while and then we started for Hampton Roads, which are six miles beyond. We passed through Hampton which was burnt by the rebels. Every house was destroyed, and I should think by the looks of the walls that are left standing that there were many fine houses; it must have been nearly as large as Montpelier.
You may imagine my surprise when we got here, to see trees all leaved out and everything looked as green as it does in June in Vermont, and I saw quite a number of wild flowers beside the road. I saw the hull of the "Congress," which was burnt by the rebel steamer "Merrimac." There is a large number of war-ships here and among them is the iron-clad "Monitor." She is a funny looking thing, and at a distance she looks like a plank lying on the water. I can not stop to write any more this time. I think we shall go into battle soon, as we are within ten miles of Norfolk. My health is good.
Yours &c.
C. A. Reed

Submitted by: Deanna French.


In this town, on the 25th, ult., Carlos A. Reed, Co. E., 3rd Vt. Regt., son of C.G. & L.H. Reed, aged 21 yers, 10 months, 17 days.

"Rear high the column to his name,
For he was good and brave;
He fell not on the field of strife,
But fills a soldiers grave"

Carlos Reed went from this town as a member of Capt. Blanchard's Company, 3rd Regt. at the time the call was made for that Regt.. At this time he was in the employ of R.S. Page. In this situation he was doing well, and was much respected by his employer. He went to his parents, and said, " My country calls, and I must go". All they could say to persuade him to remain at home was in vain.He bade adieu to home and kind friends, to take upon him the hardships of a soldiers life.While he was in the service he proved to be a faithful soldier. At all times he was found ready and at his post, to do any duty that, he was called to perform. He gained the respect and good will of the officers and the men in his regiment. In battle his courage never failed. He was one of that little band that crossed the creek at Lees Mills, in which one half of their number were lost. He also indured the hardships of the seven day fight before Richmond, without a murmur. He was in all the fights with the 3rd regt., was called to pass through.At he Battle of Fredericksburg, he and a younger brother, who went as a recruit for the 3rd Regt., stood side by side, and being hard pressed by the rebels, he kept urging his brother to load and fire faster: his motto was to conquer. He kept with his regt. until the last attempt was made to cross the Rappahannock, where he became sick and tired out. He obtained leave to fall in the rear, there for three days he remained, a rainstorm being his covering, and a foot of mud his bed.His captain, learning his condition, sent an ambulance and carried him into camp. From that time he continued to fail. His father, finding out his situation, sent another son to the army of the Potomac to bring him home, where he arrived March 23rd, and lived but 48 hours.
He was overjoyed to meet his friends at home. He said to his mother, "It was all I asked, to get home to die with father and mother". He said, "All is well, I am going to a brighter, and better world, where wars are not known, and the weary are at rest". A true soldier of the cross he was, therefore an unflinching warrior in his country's defense. he has received his discharge from earth, and has entered, we trust, the shinning portals, and is now walking the golden streets of the new Jerusalem.

Submitted by Deanna French.