Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Barnes, Walter W.


Age: 26, credited to Hyde Park, VT
Unit(s): 8th VT INF
Service: enl 9/23/61, m/i 2/18/62, MSCN, Co. A, 8th VT INF, d/dis 3/23/64 (chronic diahrea), Marine Hosp., New Orleans

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1842, Brandon, VT
Death: 03/23/1864

Burial: Chalmette National Cemetery, Chalmette, LA
Marker/Plot: 34-2455
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Dan Taylor
Findagrave Memorial #: 32430408

Cenotaph: Center Cemetery, Hyde Park, VT
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Denis & Karen Jaquish
Findagrave Memorial #: 14482065


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, mother Rebecca, 1/31/1874, not approved
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Chalmette National Cemetery, LA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.




Cenotaph in Hyde Park Center Cemetery, Hyde Park, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may have cenotaphs there.

Walter W. Barnes



We are permitted by a brother of the writer to publish the following:

ALGIERS: SEPT. 7th, 1862

We have had rather bad luck the past week. There are now about 200 of our men in the hands of the rebels, and about 20 killed, and 30 or 40 wounded. We have had three companies stationed about 30 miles up the river at Des Allemandes. There was also a small battery there of 2 brass cannon and two rifled cannon. They were given us by Gen. Butler. Three men were detailed from each company --- 30 in all --- as battery men. The cars run up there every day, to carry rations to the companies, and generalyy quite a number from each company would ride up and back for pleasure. There are several stations between here and Des Allemandes, where they stop to wood up. About ten days ago, when they were running up, they stopped at Boutte station to water, and while stopping five negroes who were chopping in the woods, came and told the engineer there would be trouble before many days. He reported to the Colonel, and thought it unsafe to run up, but the Col. ordered 30 men from each of three companies, and one-half of the battery, to take a train that was there, and come down part way, to meet and protect the train that was going up. They had done so each day, till last week Tuesday, and had that day got down about 12 miles, to Boutte station, and were going very slow, and saw no sign of the enemy. The cars were open, built for carrying wood and timber, the battery being on the forward car. They had got partly by the enemy, when they were fired upon from the houses and bushes each side of the road. The battery men were all shot down but one. He jumped to the cannon, and attempted to fire, but was shot dead on the spot. The cars came in with six dead, and 10 or 12 wounded, and about 30 were left on the road, in the hands of the rebels. Quite a number of the wounded cannot live. One man has fourteen ball holes in his body and limbs. The Col. sent word to Gen. Butler, what had happened, and he sent over a battery of two cannon, and we started in pursuit of the rebels, placing the battery in front, the infantry next, 2 engines in the middle, and the horses behind; at the same time a regiment was sent up the river to meet us at Boutte. We had got within six miles of Boutte, when all at once an ox ran out of the ditch upon the track a few rods ahead of us. The forward car ran over him, sustaining no damage; the hind wheels of the second car was knocked out; the third car broke in two in the middle, and all were piled up in one general heap, throwing the men into the air in every direction. One would suppose, to have seen it, it must have killed every one. Our company was on the 3d and 4th cars, the two worst of the lot. Capt. Grout was on the 2d car. The first words he said were "O my God! my men are killed.!" Lieut McFarland was standing on the end of the 4th car, which hoisted him 10 or 15 feet into the air. He was considerably hurt, but did not find it out until the rest were taken care of. Few were hurt except in A. A., only one killed --- Silver. He lived but a few minutes after the accident. Robbins, of our Co. had his leg broken in two places, and was badly bruised from head to foot. It is doubtful if he recovers. Others had their legs and arms broken. I was standing on some of the hind cars, so far back, I scarcely felt the jar. The wounded were placed on one of the cars, and ran back to the hospital. We then tumbled off the damaged cars into the ditch, righted up the rest, and hitched them together, picked up our dead, and and started back to Algiers. The regiment sent from the city was at Boutte, waiting for us. The captains and men wanted to go on to Boutte, but the Col. would not. Part of our wounded were found at Boutte. I think 7; the dead had been buried, --- said to be 10. All who could travel were taken to Allemandes, where three companies and the rest of the battery were taken prisoners. Quite a number of our boys have run away and got into our camp since they were taken. One of the wounded got away and came in. A ball entered his head in the front part, and one ball in his shoulder. One came in yesterday who had had nothing to eat since the fight. It is rumored that three regiments have gone in pursuit of the rebels. Three companies went out about ten days ago and took about 300 head of cattle, horses and mules. They went to the enemy's camp, and gave them a few shell and canister from our small battery, which soon caused them to skedaddle for the woods. Thirty of the rebels were found dead. One rebel captain was wounded and taken prisoner. They also brought in about 200 negroes. We now have about 2000 in camp, and they are coming in about fifty a night. This morning thirteen loads came in, and 3 to 4 mules to a load. They were mostly carts, loaded with what they call furniture. Our camp is lined with carts that the negroes bring in. They are coming in with any amount of mules and horses. They have commenced drilling the negroes on the other side of the river. Two hundred were taken over from here yesterday to be drilled.

Walter W. Barnes


Eben Barnes, of this town, has handed us the following in relation to his brother, and at his request to publish it, not doubting that it will be read with interest to all who have friends in the army. Mr. Barnes was a member of Capt. Grout's company, and was with the regiment as drummer, two years ago last fall. Funeral services will be held at the church in this place next Sunday at 1 o'clock p.m.. Members of the company of which Mr. Barnes belonged are invited to be present.

U.S. Marine Hospital

New Orleans, March 27, 1864

Mr. E. Barnes-----I am very sorry to be obliged to inform you that your brother, Walter W. Barnes, died in this hospital upon the 23d of this month. His death was quite unexpected, and I had not obtained the direction to his friends, but found a letter from you among his effects; to you therefore I address myself. If he was a married man, as it is my impression he was, you will please communicate to his wife the sad news.

Mr. Barnes came to this hospital the 11th of this month. He was very weak, just recovering from a severs sickness. We had no doubt however that he was recovering, and that a few days of rest, good food, and proper medicine would bring up his strength again, and for a few days he did improve. He had received his discharge before coming here, and in a few days his captain brought the papers to him; and then he was only waiting for transportation. While waiting he seemed to grow weaker. He worried to much for his own good; was always anxious, and thinking about one thing or another which fretted him. A quiet contented mind is the very best medicine; with out it, pysic, or nourishing food is often to no avail. There is no one of us that doubted that your brother would get safely started on the steamer for New York, which sailed on the 23d. The day before was cold and windy, and he was round, up and down stairs, about his money, papers, and one thing or another, in spite of advice, to let the nurses do them things for him. In the evening he complained of being chilled and tired. He slept quitely all night however, and about four o'clock asked the night nurse for a drink of water, which he sat up and drank quite naturally. At six, when the rising bell rang, he was found to be in a comotose state, breathing heavily, and unconscious. Every means was tried to bring him back to consciousness, but in vain, and about nine he died. It was a shock to us all, and grieved the doctor greatly. May our Father in Heaven give you, and all who loved him, strength to bear the disappointment of receiving this letter instead of welcoming him home.

He was well, and decently buried in a graveyard about a mile from the hospital. Funeral services are held, and a salute of honor fired over all that die here in their country's service. His effects will be sent home, and also his money, some $250, which is in Dr. Bockee's care, the surgeon in charge of the hospital.

Yours &c,

Mary Foster,

Nurse of Marine Hospital

Submitted by: Deanna French.

8th Vermont Infantry Regimental History