Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Wait, Oscar Edmund


Age: 21, credited to Sheldon, VT
Unit(s): 10th VT INF
Service: enl 8/11/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. I, 10th VT INF, pr CPL 12/14/62, m/o 6/22/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/13/1840, Fairfax, VT
Death: 05/28/1920

Burial: Green Bower Cemetery, Gardner, MA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 79857827


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 4/25/1892, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 10th Vt. History off-site


Great Grandfather of Edwin J. Weeks Jr. M.D., Sunnyside, NY

Great Grandfather of Paul D. Fullam, Springfield, VT

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Green Bower Cemetery, Gardner, MA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Oscar E. Wait

Oscar Edmund Wait was born 13 December 1840, in Fairfax, Vermont, the son of Edmund and Hannah (Wilson) Wait. In 1850, the family was living in St. Albans, where Oscar was a student.

He was credited to Sheldon, when he enlisted 11 August 1862, and mustered in as a private in Co. I, 10th Vermont Infantry. Promoted to corporal on 14 December 1862, he was present at the battle of Monocacy, on 9 July 1864, when the following incident began.

"Oscar E. Wait of company I, who after being captured near Monrovia by the Confederate cavalry (during the retreat after the battle of Monocacy), made his escape by knocking down a guard. He was recaptured three days later near Clarksburg, and while on the way to Richmond with 300 other prisoners, he picked up a discarded gray jacket, slipped it over his blouse, and taking a musket which one of the guard had left leaning against a tree for a moment, during a halt at night, took his place among the guard, instead of with the prisoners. Watching his opportunity he then made his escape, accompanied by a comrade, and the two reached the Union lines in safety, bringing with them a Confederate officer with his horse and arms, whom they met and captured on the road at some distance from his command."

Wait was mustered out of service on 22 June 1865.

He married Julia M. Whipple in 1866, who predeceased him.

In 1870, he was a carpenter, living in Bristol, CT. By 1880, he had moved to Fall River, Mass., where he was employed as a machinist. By 1890, he was living in Springfield, VT, where he resided until at least 1910, and by 1920, he had retired and was living in Georgia, VT.

He had applied for and and received a pension from April 1892 until his death on 28 May 1921, and is believed to be buried in South Gardner, Mass. One daughter, Eugenie W. Fullam, predeceased him, in 1916, and another, Carrie Waite Ladd, passed away on 31 March 1959, in St. Albans.

Around 1912, Wait drafted a manuscript of his Civil War experiences based on his personal journal, which was donated to the Vermont Historical Society in 1929, and edited by published by Don Wickman in 2006.


George G. Benedict, Vermont in the Civil War, ii:317.

1850, 1870-1920 US Censuses, available from

Death certificates, Vermont Vital Records, available from

Vermont Historical Society Bookstore

Written from research provided by Monica Light.