Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Wyman, Charles H.


Age: 18, credited to Ludlow, VT
Unit(s): 10th VT INF
Service: enl 8/4/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. H, 10th VT INF, m/o 6/22/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 08/15/1844, Swanzey, NH
Death: 05/28/1902

Burial: Laurel Hill Cemetery, Fitchburg, MA
Marker/Plot: Magnolia Ave 171
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 114550497


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Luella F., 6/6/1902, MA
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 10th Vt. History off-site


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Laurel Hill Cemetery, Fitchburg, MA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Charles H. Wyman

Fitchburg Sentinel

Saturday - 31 May 1902

Death of Charles H. Wyman

Charles H. Wyman died at Brattleboro, Vt., Wednesday at 10:30 pm. He was stricken with apoplexy in March 1899 and his death was caused by a second attack, though his health had been failing in the intervening time.

Charles H. Wyman was born at Swanzey, N.H., Aug. 15, 1844. His parents were J. Dana and Emily (Thompson) Wyman. He had commenced to learn the machinists' trade in this city just before the breaking out of the civil war. His parents had moved to Ludlow, Vt., and he entered the United States service from Ludlow in Co. H, 10th Vermont Infantry which left the state, Sep. 6, 1862, and a few days later went into camp at Arlington Heights, and young Wyman was assigned to picket duty on the south side of the Potomac. When the Gettysburg campaign opened, the regiment was sent to protect Maryland Heights, near Harpers Ferry, where they remained until Jun. 30, '63, when the heights were evacuated. By the accidental explosion of a magazine a large number of Union soldiers were killed or wounded. After the battle of Gettysburg the regiment joined the army of the Potomac in the pursuit of Lee, and was engaged in the battle of Orange Grove, Nov. 27, '63. The following year comrade Wyman took part in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Tolopotamy, Cold Harbor, Weldon Railroad, and the Petersburg campaign.

When the Confederates invaded Maryland, the regiment with the rest of Gen. Rickett's division, was sent to oppose them and took part in the battle of Monocacy, and later in Sheridan's glorious campaign in the Shenandoah Valley, but Comrade Wyman was detailed as orderly on the staff Gen. Rufus King. In July, 1865, the war having ended, he was discharged with his regiment.

Soon after his discharge he returned to Fitchburg, where he has since resided. He worked as a machinist for his uncle, Lysander F. Thompson, the Putnam Machine Company, and Sylvanus Sawyer. He owned a steam laundry on Central street for several years previous to 1876, when he was appointed clerk in the post office where he remained until 1878 when he received the appointment of postal clerk between Boston and Troy, where he remained 10 years. He was a traveling salesman for the Simonds Rolling Mill Company from 1889 to '92, for the Indian Bicycle company from '92 to '95, and for the Iver Johnson & Co.'s works from 1895 till attacked with apoplexy.

Neither Mr. Wyman nor his friends realized the serious nature of the attack and when Charles E. Wallace was appointed postmaster, July 1, 1899 he selected Mr. Wyman for assistant postmaster. The state of Mr. Wyman's health, however, compelled him to resign after two months service.

Mr. Wyman was a member of Post G.A.R., Mt. Roulstone Lodge and King David encampment, IOOF. His genial social nature drew to him a host of friends wherever his lot was cast, while his ready wit made him very entertaining in conversation.

He leaves a wife to whom he was married June 2, 1859, a widowed mother, Mrs. Emily A. Wyman, and one sister, Mrs. Emma R. Chase, of New York, whose husband Henry E, Chase died last January.

The funeral will be on the 33rd anniversary of his marriage.

Contributed by Erik Hinckley.