Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Lewis, David Wilkinson


Age: 28, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 9th VT INF
Service: comn CPT, Co. K, 9th VT INF, 7/3/62 (7/3/62), pow, 9/3/62, prld 9/28/62, dis/dsb 9/2/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1834, Walpole, MA
Death: 06/13/1915

Burial: Maple Grove Cemetery, Walpole, MA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 4/19/1904, MA; widow Elizabeth T., 7/13/1915, MA
Portrait?: Charles Collection, Gibson Collection, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: If this soldier enlisted before 9/1/62, and was with the regiment on 9/13/62, he would have briefly been taken prisoner along with the entire regiment at Harper's Ferry. Read the unit's Organization and Service for details.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Maple Grove Cemetery, Walpole, MA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection

Photo Photo

VHS - Portrait Files (FPO)


VHS - 9th Vermont Infantry Album (V2)


John Gibson Collection

David W. Lewis

Boston Journal

June 14, 1915

Maj. David Lewis

Maj. David W. Lewis, a Civil war veteran died yesterday at his home 38 Oak street, Hyde Park, aged 81 years. He made a notable record with the Ninth Vermont Regiment during the civil war.

He was born in Walpole and worked in a shoe store in Springfield before starting a store of his own in Brattleboro, Vt. When the war broke out he enlisted as a private, but was commissioned captain within a month. He fought in numerous battles, was wounded and was at one time a prisoner in the hands of the Confederates.

Of late he has been president of a company manufacturing building materials. He was taken ill at Ormond, Fla. in April.

Contributed by Tom Boudreau.