Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Morey, Sidney S.


Age: 22, credited to Swanton, VT
Unit(s): 13th VT INF
Service: enl 9/11/62, m/i 10/10/62, 1SGT, Co. K, 13th VT INF, comn 2LT, Co. E, 6/4/63 (6/29/63), m/o 7/21/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1840, Sheldon, VT
Death: 07/01/1916

Burial: Leavenworth National Cemetery, Leavenworth, KS
Marker/Plot: 31/9/5380
Gravestone photographer: Bruce & Sandi Pouliot
Findagrave Memorial #: 3676169


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/18/1892, MO; widow Mary C., 7/7/1916, MO
Portrait?: 13th History, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: KS
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 13th Vt. History off-site


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery, KS

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection

Portrait Portrait

(Sturtevant's Pictorial History, Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865)


SECOND LIEUTENANT SIDNEY S. MOREY was very highly respected in Company E for so short acquaintance, as the time he was with the company allowed only a brief associating with him, being upon the march when he joined the company from Company K, which seemed quite near to Company E in many respects.

Source: Sturtevant's Pictorial History, Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865, p. 553


SERGEANT SIDNEY S. MOREY was made first sergeant at the organization of Company K. He was born in Highgate, Vt., in 1840, and went to Swanton as a young man and engaged as a clerk in a store, which was his occupation when he enrolled as a volunteer under President Lincoln's call in August, 1862, for 300,000 nine months' men. He was popular among all classes, and had the confidence of his employers, whom he served with fidelity and honesty. He was at the time of his enlistment, August, 1862, 22 years of age.

My first acquaintance was after he had signed the roll, and I think only a few days before we all met at Highgate, September 11th to organize a company. At this time he was young, vigorous, active, enthusiastic, and on hand for any duty, and (better than all) upright and reliable. His whole appearance indicated patriotic devotion and sufficient courage for the strenuous life of a soldier. As first sergeant he was brought necessarily in close relation with each member of the company, and to get along smoothly with a hundred (a number in each company) of young Vermonters with peculiarities and notions of their own, and not used to military life and discipline was no easy task, but he managed the details for guard and picket duty and the many things to be done each day with such care and skill as to offend none.

The prompt and courteous manner with which he discharged every duty gained for him early in the service the commendation of his superior officers and the respect of all with whom he mingled. There was no better looking, no more tidy appearing, nor faithful and active among the whole list of orderly sergeants in the Thirteenth Regiment than Sergeant Morey of Company K, and his company was exceedingly proud of him. He might, and should have had a commission when he entered the service, but this he did not even try to secure. Evidently he had no thought of office when he volunteered. Meritorious service and his admirable qualities pointed him out as proper material for office, and in due season was commissioned Second Lieutenant and assigned to duty in Company E. He was ever prompt and on time at company roll call, and his clear cut voice rang out in camp first and often was well down the list calling the roll, before any other voice could be heard. Xot one of Comijany K could ever forget the quick time made as he called the roll, alphabetically arranged. It rings in my ears now, and I can see just where he stood morning and evening, and other times when calling the roll. He called it from memory, as I have been much amused since the war to hear him repeat the old roll call, as when in the service in the old days. We were often awakened from our morning dreams of home and loved ones by the shrill voice of Sergeant Morey, and thus it was, "Fall in Company K; hurry up there boys, Comijany K fall in, .get into line there quick, right dress, attention. Sergeants Halloway, Manzer, Smith, Jennison; Corporals Chadwick, Hicks, Sisco, BuUard, Smith, Corey. Olmstead; Musicians Brough, Labounty; "Wagoner Searl; Privates Barney, Best, Bovin, Brown, Bronson, Burnell, Charles Burnell, Homer, Burns, Burgess, Barr, Butler, Butterfield, Chamberlain, Chappel, Clark, Martin Clark, Wellington, Comstock, Currie," and down through the list he went as fast as he could speak the names. He had every name on the end of his tongue and off they fell in rapid succession to the end, and before the last name was fully pronounced would come the command, "break ranks, march," and in a jiffy every one was back in his tent, spitting fire because called out in the rain and wind before day light, simply to answer when called. It was fun to see the boys tumble out of their tents to get into line before their names were reached, many half dressed, trousers in hand, cap on. bare foot, shoes in hand, on the jump and run to be in season to answer to their names and avoid being reported as absent. Sergeant Morey commenced to call the roll as soon as the first man on the list was in line, and would not wait, for it was imperative duty to fall in at once as the order (fall in Company K) was given.

The line was formed down the company street on either side of which were the two rows of tents occupied by Company K. I was well down the alphabet, and near the end of the list, so had more time than most of them to get into line, and often saw the antics of the boys as they came out of their tents into position. Some would stick their heads out of the tent and answer to their names and some would ask his tentmate to imitate his voice and answer to his name if it was dark, and so on every name was answered to, whether present or not, and the sergeant did not always notice the fact if now and then one was absent. All were reported present and accounted for when the sergeant appeared at headquarters to make his report. He was indulgent, and accommodating, and did his best to please, when within bounds of rules and reasonable discipline.

Morey was a good officer and a brave soldier. I saw him In the battle of Gettysburg and can not be mistaken. He was near General Hancock when he was shot out on the front line in the afternoon of the last day, and came running to Company K for a tourniquet (knowing that Clark H. Butterfleld had one), to be applied on the General's leg to stop the flow of blood.

Lieutenant Morey has always claimed that he was one of those who assisted General Hancock down from his horse to the ground, and of this fact there is no doubt. The author was present and saw the incident. The writer knows that Lieutenant Morey came to Company K, and returned to the place where General Hancock was lying on the ground with Butterfield's tourniquet, and so says Butterfield in his sketch. Quite a number hastened to the General's assistance. Lieutenant Morey returned with his regiment, was mustered out July 21st, 1863, and resumed his occupation in Swanton and continued business until 1886, when he sold out and went to Kansas City, Mo., where with his family, wife and only child, a son, Raymond Morey, and his wife and child, Dorothy now reside.

For some years past he had held a responsible position in connection with the water works of the city. He had always lived in Vermont and most of the time in Swanton. His married life and business career was a part of the history of the town of Swanton, and at the age of 46 he accepted the advice of Horace Greely and went West, leaving behind a large circle of admiring comrades and friends. He had a cousin by the name of George Y. Smith, a prosperous merchant in Kansas City, Mo., who had urged him to come West, and held out very flattering inducements if he would come to Kansas City, and because of these assurances from one in whom he had implicit confidence, sold out his business in Swanton and on the morning of April 21st, 1886 started for the great West. He left behind his numerous friends who grieved over the separation, and many there are yet in old Swanton that like to think of him and his family, and are not yet reconciled to the parting. I am quite sure if Comrade Morey could have seen what was before him, and realized the lonely hours because of distant separation from dear friends and comrades, he would still be in Swanton.

The writer of this article felt the loss of parting more than any other, for I was with him in the service and an intimate associate in civil life for many years since, and had become like brothers, knowing each others joys and sorrows and castle buildings of the future. Morning and evening we talked over again and again the old days when soldiers, current events, local and general, and plans for the goal we hoped some time to reach, (How idle, like the will-of-the-wisp ever seen but never reached).

He was my dearest friend, and no one can ever realize how much I have missed him. I do not look for one to take his place, nor would it now be possible. We are now both standing on the brink of life's swiftly passing stream, expecting to be summoned any day to join our comrades and friends on the other side. There will appear on other pages of this book pictures and a biographical sketch of Comrade Morey. See page 242 of this book.

Source: Sturtevant's Pictorial History, Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865, p. 702