Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Haskell, Elisha F.


Age: 23, credited to Rutland, VT
Unit(s): 5th NY CAV
Service: enl 12/17/63, m/i, CPL, Co. H, 5th NY CAV, m/o 71965, Winchester, VA.

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1840, Unknown
Death: 06/12/1870

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Jennifer Snoots

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Elisha F. Haskell

Portion of a much longer article from the Rutland Daily Herald, June 9, 1870:

The night express train which left Ludlow about eleven o'clock last night, for Rutland, ran into a place where the Culvert had been washed out, two miles this side of Ludlow. The engine, Chester, went down and turned over, taking the baggage and one passenger car with it, but not turning them over, slightly bruising the engineer, E.M. Foss; no others were hurt. Conductor N.E. Starkey went to the Summit for the engine Killington to come for their help. They replaced the baggage car on the track, and with about twenty-five men, including passengers, started for the Summit. On reaching there Conductor Reed and Engineer Hardy walked down the track and across two culverts which they feared might be insecure, at the same time sending a section man to Mt. Holly, to see if the road bed and track were all safe. They then went back to the Summit and awaited daylight, 5 o'clock. They then started for Rutland, running slowly, and nothing appeared out of the way until the engine came on the second culvert, which settled down (as some of the passengers expressed it, dropped down like dropping a stone), the head of the engine striking the opposite bank, and the tender dropping to the bottom. The baggage car ran over the top of the tender and caught the engineer, James S. Hardy, and the foreman of the car shop, M.M. Crooker, who was riding in the fireman's seat, and the fireman, E.F. Haskell, between it and the engine, killing the two former instantly, and burning and breaking the right thigh of the latter. The car also broke the safety valve of the [several illegible words] allowing hot steam to escape into the car containing the passengers. When the car went down, it threw all the passengers to the front end in one mass, killing one man, Thomas R. Abbott, of Lowell, Mass., and wounding all the others with one exception.

Rutland Daily Herald, June 13, 1870:

Mr. Elisha Haskell, the fireman on engineer Hardy's train, died at Summit station on Sunday morning at 2 o'clock from injuries received at the disaster on Wednesday morning. He is the sixth person whose death has been occasioned by the injuries there received.

It will be remembered that Mr. Haskell was on the engine, and was between the engine and tender, Mr. Crooker occupying the usual seat of the fireman. His right thigh was broken and badly burned. He has lingered with great suffering until [several illegible words]. All that medical skill and careful attention could do to relieve his sufferings has been performed, but all of no avail. His body was brought to the Rutland depot about noon on Sunday, and was properly prepared and placed in a casket and taken to his residence on Church street.

He leaves a wife and four children, the youngest but a few days old. His wife lies so seriously ill that her life has been despaired of, but was more comfortable last evening.

He was a soldier during the war and evinced much courage on several occasions, on one occasion he was sick in hospital, and learning that a battle was going on near by, he ran away from his attendants, seizing a gun and participating in the entire engagement, becoming so prostrate as to have to be carried back to the hospital, and, for weeks, was seriously ill From the effects of his daring. He is kindly spoken of by all his associates.

His funeral will be attended this (Monday) afternoon from his late residence on Church street at half past one o'clock. Rev. Mr. Johnson of the Congregational church officiating.

Courtesy of Jennifer Snoots.