Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Noyes, Moses G.


Age: 31, credited to Poultney, VT
Unit(s): 28th MA INF
Service: enl 3/11/64, 28th MA INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/06/1832, Unknown
Death: 10/22/1873

Burial: Poultney Cemetery, Poultney, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Jennifer Snoots
Findagrave Memorial #: 51896272


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Mary S., 11/16/1864
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Poultney Cemetery, Poultney, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Sudden Death of Moses G. Noyes of Poultney

Moses G. Noyes, of Poultney, came to his death, as is supposed, on Thursday last, under sad and melancholy circumstances. A squirrel hunt came off on that day, and Mr. Noyes was in company with A. W. Dewey in the hunt, and some time in the afternoon they crossed the road leading from East Poultney to Middletown, near the old Guernsey factory place, and went on to the hills north of that point. They there fell in company with Holt Mattison, who was also hunting. Noyes said he was "tired," and sat down with his back against a tree. Dewey also sat down to rest. Some squirrels were soon started up near them, which Dewey and Mattison pursued, and after shooting several, were by this some distance from where they left Noyes, whom they were every moment expecting. He did not come, and as it was later in the afternoon, Mattison started for his home in an eastern direction, while Dewey, started for his home in the village, which led him nearly in the direction of the place where he left Noyes. Coming near the point where he left him, Dewey hallooed. He received no answer, but heard the report of a gun not far off and in the direction he was going, and supposed Mr. Noyes was hunting on his way home to the village as he probably was. Mr. Dewey came home, and the hunters came in from all quarters, for the count and supper at Murdock's in the East village, but Mr. Noyes was not among them. His absence gave some uneasiness to the hunters the evening of the supper, but on Friday morning, when it was known that he had not returned to his family, search was commenced at once, Mr. Dewey going to the place where he left him, and following from thence the natural route home, without finding him. The search was continued on Friday and Saturday, by twenty-five or thirty men, and still he was not found. On Sunday, large numbers came together, and under the direction of Dr. I. D. Ross, formed a line twenty feet apart, extending a mile in length, and so organized, they passed through the woods where Mr. Noyes was last seen.

His body was found about half a mile from the place where Dewey and Mattison left him, about noon on Sunday, and in a direction which made it evident that he had gone thus far on his way home. It was found that he at least made one shot after Dewey and Mattison left him. Dr. Ross expressed it as his belief that he had died instantly, of heart disease. There were no indications of a struggle. His body lay by the side of and with his feet on a stone wall, and the doctor and others who saw the body in that position, give it as their opinion that, in the act of getting over the wall, he met his death.

Mr. Noyes was forty years of age and leaves a widow and four children. He was a son of the late Wm. P. Noyes, a man of a good degree of intelligence and quite extensive reading. His funeral will be attended on Tuesday, at ten o'clock a. m., and will be under the direction of the Odd Fellows and Masons to which orders he belonged. He was, at the time of his decease, the presiding officer of the Odd Fellows in Poultney.

Source: Rutland Daily Herald, October 28, 1873
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.