Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Hapgood, Marshall


Age: 21, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 6th MA INF
Service: enl, Acton, 8/25/62, m/i, Pvt, Co. E, 6th MA INF, 8/31/62, m/o, 6/3/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1841, Acton, MA
Death: 04/11/1890

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: 403
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Ledoux

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not Found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


The many friends of Marshall Hapgood were saddened to learn of his death last Friday at Stamford, Conn. A little before six o'clock he was walking in the railroad yard toward home with a friend. A locomotive whistle sounded and his friend jumped aside, but Mr. Hapgood was struck by the locomotive of the fast express. He was thrown from the track and instantly killed, the body being badly mangled. The funeral was held at Stamford Sunday and the body was brought here Monday for burial by his wife and son-in-law. Mr. Hapgood's wife was Miss Emma Palmer of this place, and she and one daughter survive him. He was a brother of Mrs. A. E Thurber, and other brothers and sisters are living in Massachusetts and Michigan. He was born in Acton, Mass., 48 years ago last August, and lived in t hat place until the outbreak of the war, when he enlisted and served three years. Soon after the war he came to Brattleboro, and worked in Hadley's met market. Later he went to Boston and remained four or five years, but returned to Brattleboro and worked in the meat markets and at Estey's until five years ago, when he moved to Stamford. A detachment of Sedgwick post went to the depot to received the body.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, April 18, 1890
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.