Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Wiley, Daniel Day


Age: 24, credited to Readsboro, VT
Unit(s): 21st MA INF, USV
Service: Sgt., 21st MA INF, 19 Jul 61, m/o 20 Nov 61; also CPT & CS, USV, 8/28/62, Bvt MAJ, LTC, COL and BGen for meritorious service, m/o 10/26/66

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 08/10/1837, Readsboro, VT
Death: 01/25/1893

Burial: Greenlawn Cemetery, Templeton, MA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Dana Ringquist
Findagrave Memorial #: 41399927


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 5/26/1892, MA, not approved
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Greenlawn Cemetery, Templeton, MA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Col. Daniel Day Wiley

Worcester Daily Spy
Jan. 26,1893


Formerly a Well Known and Popular Citizen of Worcester

Col. Daniel D. Wiley, formerly a well known citizen of Worcester, died yesterday forenoon, at his home in Sudbury Center, after an illness of several months. He was born in Baldwinville, Templeton, 55 years ago. He gained his military title in the civil war. He enlisted in the 21st regiment, and was soon afterward detailed to duty in the commissary service, where he did important service, rising to the rank of brevet brigadier general.

He came to Worcester soon after the war, and was for some years a partner of Solon Bryant in the wholesale notion business, under the firm name of Bryant & Wiley. He took an active interest in politics while here, and stood as republican candidate for the legislature in one of the Worcester districts, being defeated by a narrow margin. He was a wholesouled, freehearted man, and made many friends. He was one of the charter members of Quinsigamond Lodge, A.F. and A.M., of this city, and always kept up his connection with that order.

Col. Wiley left Worcester to receive an appointment in the Boston custom house, which position he held for many years.

He was also, at the time of his death, a member of the firm of D.D. Wiley & Co., manufacturing confectioners of Sudbury. He was never married.

Boston Herald

January 26, 1893


Paralysis Cause of Demise Sketch of his Career.

Gen. Daniel D. Wiley died at his home at Sudbury Center yesterday morning after an illness of several months.

Gen. Wiley was born in Readsboro, Vt., Aug. 10. 1837, and while a boy went to live in Worcester county, Mass. Very early in life he was thrown upon his own resources; when the war broke out he was working in a store in Ohio.

In August 1861, he returned to Templeton, his former home, and enlisted as a private in the 21st regiment, in which he served until December of the same year. At that time he was discharged from military service that he might be employed in the civil capacity of clerk to Gen. Thomas Wilson of the commissary department.

Mr. Wiley served under Wilson on the peninsula until August, 1862, when he was appointed commissary captain and as such served through the war.

He was in the army of the Potomac and was sent against Richmond, having charge of the main depots of subsistence supplies in the field. At the close of the war he was brevet brigadier-general. He had charge of millions of dollars worth of supplies and was very active in pushing them to the front.

He was of pleasing address, and had as many friends as any man in the army, being received as a welcome visitor at the headquarters of Grant, Meade, Sickles, Sheridan and other generals.

After Lee's surrender Gen. Wiley was sent to San Antonio, Tex., on Sheridan's staff, and as commissary subsistence served there during 1865 and 1866, meeting with Custer and other western officers.

After his discharge he went to Worcester and for several years engaged in trade, being associated with Soule, Bryant & Co., fancy boots and notions.

About 1874 he was appointed inspector in the Boston Custom House, and finally became examiner in the appraiser's department, a post he continues to fill up to last October, when he was stricken with paralysis.

He was never married, and his only immediate relatives are two sisters a Mrs. Sawyer of Templeton and Mrs. J. R. Bement, at whose home in Sudbury Gen. Wiley passed away.

Col. Gorge F. Thompson of the custom house was associated with Gen. Wiley for three years in the commissary department. He said yesterday:

"I practically slept under the same blanket with Gen. Wiley for three years in the army, and I never knew a man who had so many friends.

"In my opinion his paralysis was in part, if not wholly, caused by an accident which happened at City Point. In 1864 an explosion blew our canal boats into the air and killed 50 or 60 men.

" It was on my birthday, and I was giving a little dinner in my tent. One of the pieces of flying shell ripped through the canvas and struck Gen. Wiley just over the ear. I thought he was killed, for he did not regain consciousness for several hours; but though he finally got upon his feet again, I don't think he ever recovered from the effects of that blow.

Gen. Wiley was a Mason and a member of the Grand Army. His funeral will be at the church at South Sudbury at 10:15 A.M. Friday.

Contributed by Tom Boudreau