Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Martin, George Peter


Age: 18, credited to Johnson, VT
Unit(s): 16th NH INF, 18th NH INF
Service: 16th and 18th NH INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 05/22/1844, Underhill or Johnson, VT
Death: 07/17/1927

Burial: Lakeview Cemetery, Burlington, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 113592477

Cenotaph: Riverside Cemetery, Plattsburgh, NY
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 85616014


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 8/7/1886; widow Etta K., 6/9/1930
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Lakeview Cemetery, Burlington, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Cenotaph at Riverside Cemetery, Plattsburgh, NY

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may have cenotaphs there.


Superintendent of Soldiers Home Had Long Been in Failing Health

George P. Martin, for the past 10 years superintendent of the Vermont Soldiers' home, died Sunday evening at the Home after a short illness. Death was due to heart trouble. Although Mr. Martin had been in failing health for the past few years, due to old age, he was active until just recently. Mr. Martin succeeded Col. Thomas Hannon of South street as superintendent of the home in February, 1917, and has served faithfully and well since taking on the duties.

George P. Martin was born in Johnson, Vermont, May 22, 1844, the son of William R., and Salome A. Martin. When a two months old baby, he was taken to Alabama by his parents, returning to Vermont when the baby reached his fifth year. The family lived in North Underhill three years and in Eden, Vt, four years. When he was 12 years old his father died and he was sent to live on the Marston farm in Orford, N. H., the birthplace of Maj. Gen. Marston.

In August of 1862 he enlisted in Co. A, 16th New Hampshire Volunteers, for nine months. He was sent with Gen. Banks to New Orleans, and in 1863 took part in the siege of Port Hudson. He returned to Orford in August of the same year, and in September of the following year he re-enlisted, in Co. B, 18th New Hampshire Infantry for one year. He went to City Point, Va., in the Engineer's Brigade, remaining until March, 1865; went to the front at Petersburg with the ninth corps and took part in the Fort Stedman fight. Subsequently he went out on the South Side road on guard duty, where he remained until the surrender of Lee's army.

After the assassination of Lincoln, the regiment was ordered to Georgetown and performed guard duty at the navy yard during the trial of the assassins of the President. Mr. Martin was mustered out and returned to Orford in July.

Until he was 28 years of age Mr. Martin lived on the Marston farm, except for a few years spent in Boston working for the city directory publishers. In 1872 he went to Plattsburg, N. Y., remaining there until 1903, and for a large part of this period he was with E. G. Moore and Co., wholesalers of shoes, as salesman. In 1903 he entered business in Burlington as a member of the Spear Martin Fur Co., and remained there until February 1, 1917, when he became Superintendent of the Vermont Soldiers; Home of Bennington, which position he held until his death.

Mr. Martin was married to Juliette Stigmon in Orford in 1868. She died in 1901 leaving one son, Arthur S. Martin, now of Bennington, Vt. In June, 1907, Mr. Martin married Mrs. Etta K. Borley of Shoreham, Vt., who survives him, and also a step-daughter, Mrs. S. B. Tuttle, of Columbus, Ohio, and a step-son, Howard R. Borley, of New York city.

Mr. Martin was an active member of the United Commercial Traveler's association of Burlington. He was also a member of the Congregational church at Burlington.

The funeral will be held this evening at eight o'clock at the Soldiers' Home, Rev. Vincent Ravi-Booth of the first Congregational church officiating. Tuesday morning the body will be taken to Burlington for another service at the undertaking rooms of T. W. Guerney. Interment will be in Lakeview cemetery at Burlington.

Source: Bennington Evening Banner, July 18, 1927.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.