Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Brock, Robert Gibson

MILITARY SERVICE

Age: 19, credited to Ryegate, VT
Unit(s): 15th VT INF
Service: enl 9/16/62, m/i 10/22/62, CPL, Co. F, 15th VT INF, dis/dsb 2/11/63, Brattleboro

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

VITALS

Birth: 06/11/1843, Ryegate, VT
Death: 05/30/1929

Burial: Wells River Cemetery, Newbury, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 112762758

MORE INFORMATION

Alias?: None noted
Pension?: yes, 4/14/1883, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

DESCENDANTS

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

BURIAL:

Copyright notice

Tombstone

Wells River Cemetery, Newbury, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



Obituary

WELLS RIVER
Robert Gibson Brock

On Memorial Day, Robert Gibson Brock one of Wells River's Civil War veterans answered his last roll call. During the past year Mr. Brock had been in very poor health, and has been very tenderly cared for at the home of his son and family, Fred Brock in Wells River. Robert Gibson Brock was born in Ryegate on June 11, 1843, the son of Alexander Harvey Brock and Janet Gibson Brock. His early boyhood was spent in Ryegate, and here he attended the public schools, graduating, however, from McIndoes Academy. At the age of 19, he enlisted in Co. F, 15th Vermont Volunteers on Sept. 8, 1862. He was mustered into United States Service at Brattleboro in October of that year. During the fall and winter Co. F, was occupied with work on fortifications, picket duty and guarding railroads. At the beginning of spring campaign, his company advanced to Gettysburg. Here he contracted typhoid fever and was a patent in the Kings street Hospital in Alexandria, Va., for many weeks. Later in a hospital in Brattleboro, where he mustered out on Feb. 11, 1863, on a Surgeons certificate. As soon as his health permitted, Mr. Brock went to McIndoes where he was employed by Azro Dutton in the general store. Later going to Whitensville, Mass., where he had employment in the Whiten Machine Works, in the wood working department. He was united in marriage on Oct. 2, 1867, to Martha Helen Rhodes of Ryegate. She passed away on Sept. 2, 1872. To this union were born two daughters. Mr. Brock and family moved to White River in 1872, which has since been his home, and he had occupied the present home on Water street from 1878 until the time of his death. He was employed by the firm of Carpenter and Jones, furniture dealers, buying out the former in 1874, and the latter in 1878. For over 50 years he was in business under the name of R. G. & D. Brock, manufacturing water tubs, tanks and house finish. He married on November 2, 1875, Addie Dorella Jay, of St. Johnsbury. To them were born three sons, one dying in infancy. Mrs. Brock passed away on Nov. 19, 1883. On July 5, 1906, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Minnie (Chamberlain) Duren of Carlysle, Mass., who passed away eleven years ago. Mr. Brock was a charter member of Colonel Preston Post, No. 64, G. A. R., a member of Temple Lodge No. 10, I. O. O. F., and Pulaski Lodge, No. 58, F. & A. M., also of Corinthian Chapter, No. 42, O. E. S. For fifteen years he served as one of the trustees of the Vermont Soldiers' Home at Bennington, also serving on the school board for several years, and holding many other town and county offices. He was at one time a member of the Presbyterian Church in Ryegate, but later joined the Congregational Church in Wells River, where he served many years as a deacon, and was a member for over 50 years. He was a life long republican, and a member of state and national botanical and ornithological clubs being a deep lover of out doors, nature and birds. A fine Christian gentleman possessed of qualities which endeared him to family, neighbors, and friends. He will be deeply missed. The funeral services were conducted from his late home on Saturday, June 1, at two o'clock, the Rev. George B. Marsh officiating. Preceeding the services, favorite hymns were played, and at the conclusion, civil war songs, Mrs. Adine Farwell at the piano. The flag draped casket was borne by Roswell L. Sherwin, Fred E. Stevens, Freeman A. Lyons, Earle F. Mulliken, Frank F. Learned and George H. Symes. The many and beautiful flowers were silent tokens of the deepest sympathy and love felt by the many friends and relatives, and the high esteem in which he was held in the community. An escort from Earle Brock Post, American Legion, conducted military services at the grave. Interment was made in the Wells River Cemetery. A final salute and "Taps" were sounded over this old soldiers last resting place. He is survived by four children, Mrs. Flora B. Goss of Wells River, Mrs. John H. Morrill of Laconia, N. H., Fred H. Brock of Wells River and Herbert J. Brock of Stoneham, Mass., an adopted daughter, Miss Amy Duren of Pike, N. H., one brother, John C. Brock of Ryegate, and seven grandchildren, nephews and nieces. Among those who attended the funeral from out of town were: Harvey Powers of Lyndonville, and Joseph Willis of Woodsville, N. H., both members of the Grand Army. Charles N. Paige, Wells River's last Civil War veteran, was also present. Among the relatives present from out of town were: John H. Morrill of Laconia, Mr. and Mrs. O. S. Morrill of Watertown, Mass., Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Brock and son, Herbert of Stoneham, Mass., Mr. and Mrs. Martin E. Daniels of Lyndonville, and Mrs. Evangeline Exley of San Francisco, Calif., Mrs. Mary H. Gay of Sierra Madre, Calif., Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Dana and John A. Young of St. Johnsbury, Mrs. Dela Hunt of Ryegate, Lang Chamberlain of Carlyle, Mass., Mrs. Cecile M. Beaton, George R. Beaton, J. Forbes Beaton, Alec J. Smith, all of South Ryegate, and Mrs. Homans of Carlyle, Mass. Mrs. John H. Morrill of Laconia, was unable to be present, on account of illness.

Source: St. Johnsbury Caledonian-Record, June 6, 1929.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.