Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Johnson, Henry D.


Age: 29, credited to Montpelier, VT
Unit(s): 23rd NY INF
Service: enl, Brooklyn, 6/18/63, m/i, Pvt, Co. E, 23rd NY State Militia, m/o 7/22/63, Brooklyn, NY

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1834, unknown
Death: 11/24/1902

Burial: Green Mount Cemetery, Montpelier, VT
Marker/Plot: Lot 42, No_Marker
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: NY
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Details of service from records of the National Home in Bath, NY. He is not listed on the regimental roster, nor is there a pension certificate, normally required for admission. He died while on furlough from the home in Montpelier, VT.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice




Green Mount Cemetery, Montpelier, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Major Johnson Died Today from the Effects of a Shock

"Major" Henry Johnson, of Washington, D. C., died at the home of J. J. Morse on the Worcester branch, this morning, from the effects of an apoplectic shock which he suffered about four days ago. Mr. Johnson was a veteran of the civil war and for some time was an inmate of the Soldiers' and Sailor's Home at Bath, N. Y. He came to this city about four months ago since which time he has been staying at the homes of some friends.

He was about 60 years of age. His wife died a number of years ago. Besides a son, who sings in one of the cathedrals in New York, he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Sarah J. Tower and Mrs. Dewitt Ward, both residents of New York.

Arrangements are being made to have the body taken to New York, where the funeral will be held. Mr. Johnson has been ill for some time. About two years ago he suffered his first shock and never fully recovered from the effects of it.

Source: Montpelier Evening Argus, November 26, 1902.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.