Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Dean, John


Age: 25, credited to Windsor, VT
Unit(s): 2nd NH INF
Service: enl, Claremont, 9/9/61, m/i, Pvt, Co. H, 2nd NH INF, 9/17/61, dis/dsb 3/17/63, Washington, DC

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/14/1836, Claremont, NH
Death: 05/14/1911

Burial: Ascutneyville Cemetery, Weathersfield, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Cathy Hoyt
Findagrave Memorial #: 100356769


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 4/13/1889, KS
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Ascutneyville Cemetery, Weathersfield, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

John Dean

The Vermont Journal, May 19, 1911

John Dean

The funeral of John Dean, who died at Boston on Sunday, the 14th was held at the home of Mrs. S. S. Ashley on South Main street, Windsor, Wednesday afternoon, May 17, Rev. C. W. Coit officiating. Burial was in Ascutney cemetery. Mr. Dean, being a Mason in Affiliation with the order in Parsons, Kansas the interment was given the usual Masonic ceremony by members of Vermont Lodge, No. 18 and Vermont Commandery, No. 4. K. T.

Mr. Dean was born in Claremont, N. H. March 14, 1836, in what is commonly known as the Cupola House, where he lived until he was 15 years of age.

He attended school at Colby and Kimball Union Academies, afterwards teaching school and it is interesting at this point in his life to learn that one of his students was Hannah Chase Harlow, whom he later married.

He was one of the first to enlist in the first company recruited at Claremont by Captain Austin. By reason of illness he only went as far a Portsmouth, but later re-enlisted in Co H, 2nd N.H. Volunteers. He was a sharpshooter and at a later period in the service was detailed to take charge of the headquarters stables in Washington and later had the entire charge of the government farms.

After the war he lived on a farm in Charlestown, N. H., afterwards going to Washington and entering the government service as farm steward at the government insane asylum. From there he went to Chicago, as superintendent of a gas company and later went to Parsons, Kansas, where he entered general mercantile business with John Bartlett, and conducted a hotel there. He was afterwards in the nursery business in Horton, Kansas, later moving back to Parsons where he was time inspector on the M. K. & T. Ry.

He came to Vermont in 1899, together with his wife, who died in 1902.

A more genial soul never lived than John Dean and it was his personality as well as his versatility that served him so well in his experiences in life. He had a wide acquaintance, both socially and in a business way.

He was a Shriner and very much interested in masonry but not active in the work since he came to Vermont.

Mr. Dean is survived by the following relatives: George Dean, Columbia, Cal.; Chas. Dean, Waco, Texas; Samuel Dean, Lynchburg, Va.; brothers. Mrs. Helen Jones and Miss Kate Dean, of Claremont, N.H., sisters.

Out of town relatives present at the funeral were Mrs. Helen Jones and Miss Kate Dean, Claremont; W. E Harlow, Montpelier; Geo. M. Harlow, Chester and Charles Fisher, Claremont.

Courtesy of Cathy Hoyt.