Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Tower, Silas B.


Age: 0, credited to Peacham, VT
Unit(s): 146th IL INF
Service: Co. H, 146th IL INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/22/1816, Peacham, VT
Death: 03/10/1894

Burial: Leavenworth National Cemetery, Leavenworth, KS
Marker/Plot: 1, R5/GR1
Gravestone photographer: Steve McCray
Findagrave Memorial #: 3681889


Alias?: None Noted
Pension?: Yes, 1/19/1867
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: KS
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Unknown


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice

Leavenworth National Cemetery, KS

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



Silas B. Tower, aged 78, H, 126th Illinois, died yesterday morning and will be buried this morning.

Source: Leavenworth Times, March 11, 1894.

An Old Soldier's Lifes History

Silas B. Tower was born at Peacham, Caledonia county, Vermont, Dec. 22, 1816, and died at Leavenworth soldiers home of apoplexy, March 10, 1894, aged 78 years.

Early in life his father moved to Bangor, Maine, where Silas received a good education. He experienced conversion at the age of 17 and studied some for the ministry, but not liking the work, at the age of 23 he left Bangor and went to N. Y., where he engaged in the mercantile business. Early in 1844 he took a seas voyage to Florida. Thence to New Orleans and when the big flood of 44 widened the Mississippi river to 50 miles he was at St. Louis to see it and narrowly escaped death. The Judge said that in those days St. Louis numbered only 28,000 and Chicago was scarcely known in 1854, for upon telling his friends he was going there they wanted to know where it was and more about it. He worked in Chicago a year or so at various work, and then returned to New York. At the beginning of the war he was back in Illinois and enlisted in 1863 in the 93rd Ill. Inft., but was taken sick with typhoid fever at Camp Douglas and never mustered went out with the regiment. July, 1864, he enlisted in Co. H, 116 Ill, Inft. I think this regiment was a one year term and mostly made up of old men for guard duty as they were divided up. The companys being on detached duty up and down the rivers in Illinois, Kansas, Missouri and the Mississippi. At the close of the war their company was at Quincy and the regiment was ll called in at President Lincoln's death to Springfield where they officiated as a funeral escort. The Judge often showed his badge, worn on May 3d, 1865, designating him as one of the Guards of Honor. They were discharged soon after and in later years S. B. Tower drifted to Carbondale and Lyndon. I think he has been identified with Lyndon 20 years or more, for he used to tell me how he was one of the committee that helped to select the Lyndon cemetery, of which he was always interested in - many years acting as master of funerals. He was police judge and shop-keeper and worked in various occupations, such as painting, &c.

Of his domestic life I known nothing more that what the following letter reveals.

With all the Old Judge's failings we must overlook and remember how he tried to maintain religious institutions and all other good works when Lyndon was in its infancy. He retained a lot in our cemetery until the last year, and often expressed a desire to be brought back here and buried, but more recently, it seems, he concluded to be laid away with his 800 or more more comrades in the National Cemetery at the home, and the adjutant writes me that he was laid to rest there with all the military honors that the Nations defenders are given.

C. R. Green.

Source: Lyndon (KS) Journal, April 19, 1894.

National Military Home, Leavenworth, Co., KS - April 12th.

C. R. Green

Dear Sir: - In reply to your letter of the 9th, relative to the death of Silas B. Tower, late H. Co., 116, Ill. Inft. I am directed by the governor of the home to inform you that he died March 10th, 94. Cause of death, apoplexy. He was already to start on a furlough to Lyndon, Kansas, and had his transportation and satchel, and was in the act of of leaving his quarters when he got the stroke, and was immediately taken to the hospital on the 7th of March, 1894, but he never rallied and died from the stroke of apoplexy, March 10, 1894 at 12 o'clock m. He left some articles of clothing, watch and money. His sister, Mrs. R. B. Treat, is still living at Riverside, Cal., and she was written to at the time of his death, and have received an answer from her. Have sent her an inventory of his effects. Very respectfully.

Robt. Hayes, 1st Lt. and Adjt.

Source: Lyndon (KS) Journal, April 19, 1894.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.