Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Waterman, Robert Smith


Age: 30, credited to Vermont
Unit(s): 118th NY INF
Service: enl, Crown Point, 8/2/62, m/i, Pvt, Co. E, 118th NY INF, 8/16/62, pr CORP, 8/30/62, rdcd, no date, m/o 6/13/65, Richmond, VA

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/24/1832, Portsmouth, NH
Death: 06/02/1918

Burial: Branch View Cemetery, Royalton, VT
Marker/Plot: Section 6, #55
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None Noted
Pension?: Yes, 8/10/1866; widow Marcia A., 6/13/1918, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Unknown


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Branch View Cemetery, Royalton, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Robert Smith Waterman

After long illness Robert S. Waterman passed away Sunday evening, June 2.

Mr. Waterman was born near Portsmouth, N. H., April 24 1832, and so was more than 86 years old. He lived with his father, Benjamin Franklin Waterman in this vicinity until about 1850, when they all went to reside on a farm in the town of Essex, N. Y., near the village of Wadhams. After about three years they removed to North Elba, N. Y., and afterward to Crown Point, N. Y. At this last place when the war broke out he enlisted in Co. E, of the 118th Regiment of New York Volunteers, Aug. 2, 1862. After his first battle he was promoted to be corporal, which rank he held until his discharge, June 13, 1865. He took part in twelve battles, the last being that of Richmond in 1865.

After his return he resided in Crown Point, N. Y., till 1889, when, with his family he came back to Vermont and purchased the farm now owned by his son, John. He has since resided in different places in this town and Bethel, from whence he came eleven years ago and purchased the house where he died.

Exposure in the army and sunstroke caused a failure of eyesight, which resulted in blindness, and for many years he has suffered from this cause, depending on others for guidance. In his younger days he was somewhat of an athlete, and there were few who could match him wrestling. He retained his vigor and strength throughout his long life, until a few years ago, when disease and increasing age afflicted him in many ways.

He was a member of the G. A. R. In the different places where he has resided and sometimes recounted his experiences in the army. The interest he felt in the present struggle was manifested in his desire for the latest news.

He was married May 30, 1872, to Miss Marcia A. Reynolds of Royalton, who, with their five sons, John E., James F. William R., Charles F., and George A., and five grandchildren, M. Louise, Mabel A., Richard F., and Robert and Marcia, survive him. An only daughter, Mabel A., died in 1903. This death, with that of Robert, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Waterman, are the only deaths on the family.

The funeral was held on Wednesday, June 5, at his late residence, Rev. J. F. Whitney officiating assisted by Rev. Levi Wild. The interment was in the Branch View cemetery, where many of his ancestry and kindred are buried.

Those from out of town attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. William R. Waterman and two children of Tunbridge, Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Waterman of Laconia, N. H., W. J. Reynolds of White River Junction, Mrs. Bertha Cross of Hanover, N. H., Mr. and Mrs. John Loveland and daughter, Ethel of North Hartland, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Waterman and Mrs. Sarah Fox of Strafford and Myron Tuller of Tunbridge.

Source: Herald and News, June 13, 1918.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.