Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Tucker, William Arlo


Age: 0, credited to Calais, VT
Unit(s): 28th WI INF
Service: Pvt, Co. B, 28th WI INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/02/1811, Calais, VT
Death: 07/16/1890

Burial: Hampton National Cemetery, Hampton, VA
Marker/Plot: 6323
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Ledoux
Findagrave Memorial #: 3095467


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: VA
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Unknown


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice

Hampton National Cemetery, VA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



David Fleming, a retired sailor in the United States navy, died suddenly of heart disease, Wednesday of last week, while sitting in a chair in Hubbard's store in Tyson. He was seventy years old and had led a hermit's life for twenty years. - Funeral services were held, Thursday afternoon, with burial in the G.A.R. lot in the cemetery.

Source: Vermont Journal, November 26, 1904


A Vermonter Who Could Recall Many Eventful Days

David Fleming, an old veteran who had lived a hermit's life for about 20 years near Tyson, died recently of heart failure while on his way to procure assistance. He was 70 years of age.

The deceased traced his history back to the wooden walls of our ancient navy. He was of Scotch birth and enlisted on an American war vessel that was cruising in the Mediterranean sea. He served many years in the ancient navy, being with Commodore Perry when he visited Japan and receiving a broker leg in the battle of Hampton Roads. He was with Admiral (then Captain) George Dewey when he sailed to France with relief stores after the Franco Prussian war and served in the first vessel of which Dewey had independent command. He was also with the hero of Manila Bay during a considerable service with the Asiatic squadron on the Japanese, Chinese and Philippine coasts.

In 1880 he received a severe injury to the spine, caused by a boat in which he was at work falling suddenly from its davits. He had then advanced in the service so that he was on the eve of becoming a petty officer. Since that time he had lived on the Tyson road, about one mile from Tyson, receiving a pension of $28 per month. He lived entirely alone and cared but little for the society of other people, but was noticed on election day the polls, where he undoubtedly cast a ballot for President Roosevelt, as he had always been a republican.

Source: Burlington Clipper, December 3, 1904
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.