Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Bickford, Sylvester


Age: 29, credited to Whitingham, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 8/11/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. E, 11th VT INF, wdd, Charles Town, 8/21/64, m/o 6/24/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 06/27/1833, Woodford, VT
Death: 03/24/1909

Burial: Riverside Cemetery, Gill, MA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 43508141


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/9/1875; widow Mary A., 4/16/1909, MA
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


3rd Great Granduncle of Gillian Wilson, White Creek, NY

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Riverside Cemetery, Gill, MA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Sylvester Bickford

The following which appeared in the Greenfield (Mass. ) Recorder of March 24, will be of interest to readers of the Times as Mr. Bickford was well known in this vicinity where he formerly lived for many years:

Sylvester Bickford, a veteran of the Civil war, father of O. S. Bickford of Greenfield, and Myron A. Bickford of Springfield, died at 7:30 this morning at his home in Riverside, Gill. Mr. Bickford had been in feeble health for two years or more but his death resulted from an acute illness of but a few days with pneumonia in his 76th year.

Mr. Bickford was born in Woodford, Vt., and had a boyhood that was full of hardship. His father was killed by a falling tree when the boy was four years and his mother died two years after. He was bound out to a farmer who had old fashioned ideas of discipline. For failure to get back quite as soon as was expected from a neighbor’s, where he was sent to borrow a nail, he was sent to the barn for a rope, which was put around his neck, the other end being fastened to a hook in a beam in the kitchen, while the boy stood in a chair, which was then removed, and he was kept hanging until his face turned black and blood ran from his nose. The fall after his sixth birthday he picked up in a basket and carried some distance 100 bushels of potatoes.

Mr. Bickford lived in various places in Vermont until the call to arms in 1862, when he enlisted and served three years in the 11th Vermont infantry and the first Vermont Heavy Artillery. He contracted rheumatism from exposure and was shot in the leg. After the war he lived in Vermont towns, in Hinsdale, N. H., where he received a sunstroke, from which he never fully recovered, and in Bernardston. He was married in Whitingham, Vt., August 28, 1888 to Mary ---. few years ago, with his son in Greenfield and the last five years were spent in Riverside, where he bought a small place. He was a member of the C. B. Lawton post of the Grand Army at Whitingham, Vt.

Mr. Bickford is survived by his wife, two sons, O. S. Bickford, a Greenfield machine manufacturer, and Myron A. Bickford, a well-known musician, and one daughter, Miss Elva R. Bickford, who lived at home. Funeral services will be held at the house in Riverside, Friday at 1:30, and the burial will be in Gill.

Source: Deerfield Valley Times, April 2, 1909
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.