Peter Flood Collection
THE GEORGE BICKNELL FAMILY
Isaac Bicknell m. Sarah Green, and they moved from Enfield, N. H., to Underhill, Vt., in 1818, with seven children : Amanda Delia, Catherine, Nathan, Dan, Wesley and George. George came to Underhill at the age of nine years. He was educated at the common schools and for a time attended the Academy at Jericho Center. In 1837 he m. Laura Whiton, who was b. in Essex, Vt., in 1813. He had two half-brothers, Lester and Harrison, and one half-sister, Clarissa. George Bicknell and his Laura had lived together as husband and wife 58 years. She d. in 1895 and he in 1896.
They had five children:
(1) Dennis, who served in the late Civil War in the 2nd Vt. Regiment and in the Vet. Reserve Corps over five years. After the war he m. Naomi Abercrombie of Canada. He became a Methodist preacher and preached for that denomination for several years, and afterwards connected himself with the Congregational denomination and preached for that denomination in the state of Washington till he d. in 1913. They had no children.
(2) Delia A., who m. J. A. Graves of Wolcott, Vt., in 1859. He served three years in the 9th Vt. Regiment in the War of the Rebellion, and d. in 1872.
(3) George Clinton, who was b. in Underhill in 1843, and who with his father, George Bicknell, moved from Underhill into the eastern part of Jericho in 1872, locating on the farm now called the Brennan farm. In 1888 they moved into the village of Jericho Center where George C. Bicknell and his family have since made their home. George Clinton Bicknell enlisted in the War of the Rebellion in 1861 in the 7th Vt. Regiment, served for four years and four months and was honorably discharged. He is a mechanic and farmer. He m. Adelia L. rice of Westford, Vt., in 1869. She was the daughter of Samuel and Martha J. (Cushman) Rice. They had three children : Charles R., b. 1870 ; Chauncey C., b. 1875 ; and Florence E., b. 1885, who is a teacher in Chicago. Charles R. m. Lillie M. Barber of Jericho, in 1895. She d. in 1900 and he d. in 1907. They left one son, Elmer F., b. in 1897. Chauncey C., m. Fannie A. Hulbert in 1903 and they have three children, viz. : George K., b. 1904 ; Robert C., b. 1905 ; and Laura F., b. in 1908.
(4) Laura Alice was b. in Underhill in 1846 and m. Fred A. Fuller of Jericho, Vt., in 1867. They had three daughters, all dead. He served four years and three months in the 7th Regiment of Vt. Vols. In the War of 1861. She d. in 1882.
(5) Preston F. Bicknell who was b. in Underhill in 1853 and lives in South Lancaster, Mass.
Source: Chauncey H. Hayden, et al, The History of Jericho Vermont The Free Press Printing Co., Printers and Binders, Burlington, Vt., 1916), pp. 390-1.