Site Logo
Home | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Monuments | Museum | Towns | Units | Site Map

Webmaster's Note:
Unfortunately we are having technical problems with the databases that support the site;
soldier's records, cemeteries, towns, adding descendants and others are not available.
Our provider is attempting to correct the problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you have specific questions about soldiers,
we may be able to answer them from material we have off-line;
Email the webmaster

The Ed Italo Collection

6th Vermont Infantry
Mather Family Correspondence

Warren D. Mather was a member of the Sixth Vermont Volunteer Infantry, and served in the field with the Old Vermont Brigade starting in mid-May, 1864. He was mortally wounded at the battle of Cedar Creek on October 19, 1864, and subsequently died in hospital. This collection includes eight letters from Warren to his wife during this period of time. It also includes two letters from George W. Mather, Warren's father, while he was attending to his wounded son at the Jarvis U. S. General Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, and three letters from her brother-in-law, Asa F. Mather, at the time Quartermaster Sergeant of Company C, 11th Vermont Volunteer Infantry.

Warren D. Mather married Ellen R. 'Nellie' Thompson on April 1, 1860 in Bridgewater, Vermont. A blacksmith by trade, he was drafted from the town of Plymouth, and deciding to serve instead of paying commutation or hiring a substitute, enlisted July 22, 1863, and mustered in, probably with a replacement company for the Sixth Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He was described as having dark brown hair, grey eyes, and a dark complexion. Warren arrived at Bell Plain Landing, at the mouth of the Potomac River, May 12th, 1864, and was assigned to Company I. His service with the regiment is detailed in his letters to his wife Nellie.

Warren suffered a mortal gunshot wound in the left leg at the battle of Cedar Creek, on October 19th, 1864. Surgeons amputated his leg up to the thigh, probably at a field hospital. He was later transferred to the Jarvis (U. S. General) Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, and admitted on October 24, 1864.

Based on his father's letters, Warren appeared to be recuperating, but apparently abruptly died in Baltimore as the result of complications brought on by pyaemia (aka hospital gangrene). He was only 28. According to an affidavit signed by his father for his wife's pension application, he had been attending to his injured son, and was present when Warren died on December 15th. According to the "Record of Death and Internment," he died on December 16th, his father took charge of his effects, and the body was taken home and buried December 18th. The 1892 Revised Roster erroneously lists his date of death as December 17th.

Warren D. Mather's letters to his wife, Nellie

May 12, 1864, Bell Plain Landing Va
May 21, 1864, in the Wilderness.
June 6, 1864, near Cold Harbor
June 12, 1864, near Cold Harbor
June 15, 1864, near Charles City Court House
August 2, 1864, at Fredrick, MD
August 7, 1864, Bolivar Heights, near Harpers Ferry VA.
September 15, 1864, near Berryville VA.

George W. Mather's letters to his daughter-in-law, Nellie Mather

November 25, 1864, (Baltimore U. S. General Hospital)
December 4, 1864, Baltimore U. S. General Hospital

Asa F. Mather's letters to his sister-in-law, Nellie Mather

January 20, 1865, camp near Petersburg Va.
February 8, 1865, Patricks Station, in front of Petersburg
February 24, 1865, Patricks Station, in front of Petersburg

Other documents:

Record of Death and Internment
Army Penson Application
George W. Mather's Affidavit.