Site Logo

Virtual Museum

Underhill Historical Society Archives

The following are the beginning of a number of extracts from the archives of the Underhill Historical Society, contributed by Scott C. Sommer, president of the society.


Died at home in East Orange Sunday-- Native of Milton.

Col. Henry Orville Clark Of East Orange N.J. and Milton, died suddenly at 3:30 0'clock Sunday [7 June 1914] at his home in East Orange of heart trouble. Col. Clark's death was unexpected. Col. H. W. Allen of Burlington received a telegram Sunday morning announcing his friend's death and following the message came a long letter written by Col. the day before. Col. Clark was born at Milton in 1844. He was educated in the common schools of his native town and in the academies of Swanton and Georgia. He graduated from a commercial school at Buffalo, N. Y. When President Lincoln called for more men in 1861 he gave up his clerkship in Chicago and returned to Milton, were he was appointed a recruiting officer and enlisted a part of Company D, 13th Regiment. He was made a sergent and served until the regiment was mustered out. It was said that during the battle of Gettysburg there were none in his regiment who fought more bravely or entitled themselves to more glory than did Colonel Clark.

In the fall of 1864 he went to New Orleans and became connected with a firm of wholesale grocers and cotton factories for two years. Returning to Milton he engaged in the merchandise business in the firm of Ladd & Clark, where he continued for four years, selling out to go to New York, where he became a member of the importing firm of Davis, Clark & Co. He retired from the firm in 1886. Colonel Clark was connected with several banks at Orange and East Orange N.J. as director, and he had large property interests in Milton, where he spent summers. Colonel Clark was appointed colonel A.D.C. on Governor Ormsbee's staff. He took an active part in the dedication of the State monument at Gettysburg and he was a leading member of the Lafayette Post G.A.R. of New York City. He was a promoter of the soldiers monument of the 13th Vermont at Milton and was chairman of the general committee. In 1878 he was married at Milton to Kate Clark Rixford, who survived him with 3 daughters, Mrs. E. S. Isham of Burlington and the Misses Klara and Elsie Clark of East Orange. Colonel Clark, than whom there was no more enthusiastic and devoted member of the 13th Vermont regiment, was voted president of the Regimental association, which was formed at Underhill. There was no more loyal Vermonter than Colonel Clark has always been and he was a general favorite with the veterans. Always when he traveled he registered as from Vermont. His loss will be deeply felt by a large circle of friends.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at his late home at 3:30 o'clock, according to a telegram received by Col. H. W. Allen from E. D. Isham, son-in-law of Colonel Clark. Mr. Isham arrived in Burlington with the body Wednesday morning. A prayer service for intimate friends was held at 11:30 Wednesday at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Isham at 31 Williams Street. Burial was in the Lake View cemetery, Burlington. Veterans of the 13th Vermont and members of the Stannard Post Attended the funeral in a body.

J. P. Dexter

J. P. Dexter, aged 63 years, died Sunday, May 2 and was buried Tuesday in the cemetery at Hampshire Corners. Mr. Dexter was a member of L. H. Bostwick Post G.A.R.

George C. Dunton



Death of George C. Dunton

George C. Dunton, of North Underhill, died suddenly March 28, About 6 o'clock, he called Dr. Charles Newton by telephone saying that he was not feeling well, and asked if the doctor would come to him as soon as convenient and died at noon. The physician pronounced the case meningeal pneumonia. Mr. Dunton had for several weeks been suffering from a severe attack of bronchitis and his-vital forces were so greatly reduced as to give his friends serious concern, though no one anticipated that the end was so near.

The funeral was held at the Methodist church in Underhill March 31 at 2 o'clock, the Rev. O.L. Barnard officiating. A quartet composed of C. H. Hayden, E J. Gallup, Miss Rawson, and Mrs. Palmer sang three selections.

A large represention of the Cambridge and Underhill posts of the G.A.R. attendeding body. They had charge of the service at the grave and rendered the committal service of that order in a most impressave manner. J. J. Monihan acted as commander and Amos Humphrey as chaplain. The following comrades served as pall-bearers; D.C. Walker, Col. C. D. Gates, T.S. Whipple, H. Maxfield, J. O. French, and Henry Provost.

The burial was made in the Dunton Plot of the Underhill cemetery.

George Coolidge Dunton was born 66 years ago in the same house in which he died. His parents, Elijah and Mary Ann French Dunton, were of sturdy New England stock, whose ancestors were among the founders of the Massachusetts Bay colony.

Mr. Dunton was educated in the academies then maintained at Underhill Center and the flats. In the War of the Rebelion he served with Berdan's Sharp Shooters. With the politics of his town he was long and honorably identified. In 1882 he married Eugenie Gates, daughter of Col. C. D. Gates, who survives him. He is also survived by one brother, Dr. C. H. Dunton, of Poultney.

Charles H. Dunton served with Company F 13th Regt. Vt. V.

Clarence D. Gates


Col. Clarence D. Gates died at the home of Mrs. William Folsom at 17 Grant street yesterday morning from complication of diseases. Mr. Gates had been ill about two weeks and during this time his daughter Mrs. Parsons of Fairfax, was with him. Mr. Gates was a veteran of the Civil War, being commissioned October 4 1862, in the first regiment of Vermont cavalry, and was mustered out November 18 1864. Of late years he had been secretary and manager of the Burlington Granite company. There will be a service at St. Paul's chapel Wednesday at 1:00 p.m., preceded by a short service at 12:15 p.m. at 17 Grant street, to which member of the G.A.R. and friends are invited. Interment will be in the Binghamville cemetery in Fletcher.

Julius F. Goodrich

Julius F. Goodrich died very suddenly Sunday at the home of L. L. Goodrich. He was 79 years of age. He and his son Ferris had come from Montgomery the day before, and he complained of not feeling well. He was eating dinner and suddenly exclaimed "Oh" and died instantly. The funeral was held at the house of L. L. Goodrich Wednesday at 1 p. m. Mr. Goodrich leaves a large family of seven sons and two daughters, Mrs. Safford of Fairfax and Mrs. Remington of Essex Junction. He was a veteran of the Civil War being a drummer and the music of the "Goodrich Drum Corps," consisting of himself and several sons, has been heard often, Memorial Days. May 1 1904

S. A. Hale

S. A. Hale, aged 73 years, died today. Funeral Thursday at 2 o'clock p.m. Mr. Hale had been in failing health for some months but was taken much worse last week. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, one daughter, Mrs. Wallace Stevens, of Essex Juct. and one son, Henry Hale, of this village. Mr Hale had been a very active man in the meat trade for many years. He was a member of L. H. Bostwick Post 69. The family have the large sympathy of a large circle of friends. Feb. 4 1907


Tribute to The Late Samuel A. Hale of Underhill

In the illness and death of S. A. Hale of Underhill, the village community have met with a great loss. As an active and resolute business man, he was a familiar figure on the streets of this and neighboring villages for many years. His illness was of long duration and the enforced idleness grew very wearisome, but the loving patience and tender care of his family lightened the burden of weakness and suffering. He was twice married, his wife Sarah Edwards Hale dying in April, 1897. One son Henry, of this village, and a daughter, Mrs. W. C. Stevens of Essex Junction. survive him with several grandchildren. In May 1900 he married Mrs. Mary C. MacGibbons Hale and to her sons and daughters he gave a warm welcome and for his many words and deeds of kindness to them his memory is blessed and they delight in calling him father.

Of a genial disposition he enjoyed entertaining his friends and they were many. He served with credit in the 1st Vermont cavalry and was an enthusiastic Grand Army man, attending the encampments, both state and national, as well as all the home gatherings of the post, until this pleasure was denied him through failing health. A public spirited man he was always ready with purse and hand to forward any enterprise for the public good and the poor and needy found in him a helper.

The ladies of this village are indebted to his generosity for much pleasure and hold him in grateful remembrance. As weakness of mind and body increased, he imagined himself again in the active duties of life, with the stress of toil upon him. Truly the ruling passion was strong in death. His funeral was largely attended at his late home on Tuesday Feb. 7 ,1907, the Rev. Atwood officiating. The impressive burial service was rendered with much feeling by the post of which he was past commander. Beautiful flowers were furnished by the post, an escort , and under the flag he loved, he was borne to the silent city. Good night brave soldier, dear friend sleep well.

A. C. Humphrey Dies

Civil War Veteran, Represented Underhill in Legislature - Was town Clerk

[Special to the Free Press]

Underhill, Jan 7 1920 - Hon. A. C. Humphrey, a life - long and highly respected citizen of this town, passed away very suddenly of heart disease at his home here at 4. 30 o'clock Tuesday morning. Mr. Humphrey was for many years town clerk of Underhill and Represented the town in the Legislature. He has also held the office of selectman as well as various other town offices. Mr. Humphrey was a veteran of the Civil War, serving in the first Vermont regiment, Company G, for three years and three months. At the time of his death he was commander of L. H. Bostwick Post, G.A.R. and was also a member of the Masonic order. He was a man of sterling qualities much loved by everyone, and will be missed by his town and state. The survivors are a widow, two sons, B. K. a lieutenant in the navy, and Edgar S. of Underhill, one daughter, Mrs D. F. Hackett of Boston, and eight grandchildren, also a brother, Capt W. H. Humphrey of 64 Green Street Burlington. The funeral which will be held under the auspices of the Masonic order, will be held Friday afternoon at two o'clock at the Methodist Church the Rev. A. H. Sturges officiating with interment in Underhill Center.

(See Book of War Sketches)

Essex Junction

Capt. J. J. Monahan Dies at Fanny Allen

Capt, J. J. Monahan, who resided at Butlers Corners, about two miles from the village, died at Fanny Allen Hospital early yesterday morning, where he had been for treatment about 6 weeks. Death was due to general debility. Mr. Monahan was born in Rutland 69 years ago. For many years he lived in Underhill, where he was town clerk for about 22 years. He has been a lawyer about 35 years. Captain Monahan was a member of Co. F. Berdan's sharp shooters. Mr. Monahan is survived by his wife and little daughter, Mary and one son by a former marriage. Edward T. Monahan, of Boston, also one brother, Thomas Monahan, and three sisters, Mrs Thomas Murphy, Mrs. John Farredil, and Miss Mary Monahan of Burlington. The funeral will take place at St. MARY'S Cathedral, Thursday morning. The remains will be taken to Rutland for burial.

Fellow WAR prisoner At Comrade's Funeral

[Special to the Free Press]

Rutland, Jan. 22 1918. Among the Civil War veterans who attended the funeral of Joseph B. Needham, a member of Co. C. 4th Vermont at his home here this morning was Capt. C. W. Carr of Brandon, who 49 years ago was in Libby and Charleston prisons for five months with Lieutenant Needham. The obsequies today were in charge of Vermont Lodge Knights of Pythias, at the house Roberts Post, G.A.R. at the grave. The Bearers were members of these organizations. Mr. Needham had held the highest offices in both orders.

William M. Naramore

Sept, 21, 1919

William M. Naramore, a resident of this village for 38 years and comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic, died Sunday morning after several years of poor health. Mr. Naramore was born in north Underhill in 1844. In the summer of 1862 he enlisted in Company F 13th Regt. Vermont Volunteers, After serving his enlistment and receiving his discharge, he re-enlisted in the summer of 1864 in Company K 17th Vermont volunteers and served until the end of the war. His Discharge is dated July 1865 with the rank of sergeant. He entered the mercantile business in Underhill in 1865 and moved to Bakersfield in 1881. The funeral was held Tuesday at two o'clock in the afternoon and interment was in the family lot in Bakersfield cemetery.

[I also have his ledger from his Underhill store for Sept 1 1866 to 1876 in my personal collection. It has names of many Civil War veterans listed in it as customers - Scott Sommer]

(See Book of War Sketches)

Death of Henry E Mudgett

The death of Henry E. Mudgett occurred Friday, May 3 at 5 a. m. at his home after a long illness he being confined to the house since Dec. 1916. He had been gradually failing during the past winter and was confined to his bed since April 25th, continually growing weaker and the last few days rapidly failed untill death claimed him. The end was very peaceful. During his long illness he was most faithfully cared for by his wife, who always was thoughtful and painstaking care for him.

Henry Eiwin Muggett was born in Westford Sept. 1 1838, oldest son of John and Harriet [Starkweather] Mudgett. He lived in different towns in Chittenden county until 22 years of age, when he moved to Johnson. The following year Aug. 27 1862, he was one of seven men who volunteered to fill out a quota of the town of Johnson in Co. E 13th Vt, to enter service in the Civil War. He, with other Lamoille county boys, was sent to Morrisville, where they were drilled for three weeks by Urban A. Woodbury. When they were sent to Brattleboro Co. E. consisted of 100 men, including officers and privates. His company were nine Month's men. He was in the battles of Gettysburg and on being mustered out, July 21, 1863, returned to Vermont.

Jan. 8 1865, he was united in marriage to Abbie Whitting Burnham of Johnson, since then living in Lamoille county and from March 12 1895, on the farm where he died. Eleven children were born to this union, of which ten are now living. They are Vernon of Tacoma, Wash., Curtis of Barton; Belle M. Kneeland, Josie Forrest, Perley, Ernest Arthur of Johnson; May Emery of Eden and Fred of Pittsford. Frank died in 1912. He is also survived by 15 grandchildren and two brothers, Charles of Tenn, and Brianard of Hyde Park, and one sister, Sarah Waite of Hyde Park.

In the death of Mr. Mudgett, a good citizen and a man of noble traits has passed to the great beyond. He was a man of keen intellect and a remarkly retentive memory, being able to to give exact dates of important events and births and deaths of people generally.

He manifested a strong interest in the soldier's welfare and everything that pertained to army life. As long as health permitted he attended the re-unions of his comrades. He visited Gettysburg battlefield four times since the war, the last being the fiftieth anniversary in July 1915.

The funeral was largely attended from the home Sunday at 2 p. m., Rev. E. G. French of Danville officiating. He paid a glowing tribute to the soldier and exemplary life. Nine Civil War veterans were in attendance at the funeral, H. M. Maxfield was in charge and the burial was in the family plot in Lamoille View Cemetery.

Obit for Elijah Porter

Elijah Porter died suddenly on Wednesday. May 6 at his home in Underhill. The death of Mr. Porte came as a sad surprise to the whole community. He was a life long resident, a man of sterling worth and integrity, a true friend, a kind neighbor and highly respected by all. He was a veteran of the war of rebellion and lost one leg while in the army. He was a member of Bostwick post, G. A. R. The solemn ceremony of the order was used at his burial. He leaves a wife and four children, two sons and two daughters--- Theron Porter and May Porter of Boston have been at home for a few days, coming to the burial of their father.--- Frank Porter and wife will remain with Mrs. Porter on the home farm. Miss May Porter returned to Boston on Wednesday.

Elijah died in 1896 of "apoplexy caused by his inability to exercise" At 69 yrs 4 months 24 days.

Joseph M. Robinson

Fatality At St. Albans Bay

St. Albans Sept. 28 1907---- Joseph M. Robinson, carpenter, employed by E. M. Prouty was instantly killed Thursday afternoon while at work at the George Stillphen farm, St. Albans Bay, by a pile of lumber falling upon him, his neck was broken. He leaves a Wife and two children. Mr. Robinson was born in Westford. He had resided here some years. He was a Civil War Veteran, served in the 3rd Vermont and later in Company E. 1st Vermont cavalry. He was wounded and taken prisoner October 7, 1864. Brief services were held at the home yesterday afternoon and the remains were taken to Westford this morning for interment.

Lewis Tatro Attempts Suicide by Cutting his Throat.

Underhill, May 5 1908--Lewis Tatro, who has been in poor health this winter, Attempted to take his life Saturday night by cutting his throat. When found in his barber shop he was in a very critical condition. A physician was summoned, and there is some hope of his recovery.

Louis Tatro Makes a Successful Attempt at Suicide

Louis Tatro, a veteran of the civil war, who attempted suicide two weeks ago by cutting his throat, took paris green Saturday and was successful in ending this life. He leaves a wife and 6 children, Frank, Ada, John, Robert, Dewey, Lewis. Mr. Tatro was 70 years old, a soldier of the rebellion and a member of G.A.R. Post 69, of this place. The funeral was held at 10 O'clock Tuesday at his home and at the Methodist church. Burial in the Fair View cemetery May 16 1908.

(See Book of War Sketches)

Death of T. S. Whipple

The body of Thaddeus E. Whipple who died Sunday at Underhill after an illness of one week with pneumonia and complications, was brought to this place for burial Wednesday. The funeral service at his late home was in charge of the Grand Army, and the Warner Lodge No. 50 F & A. M. of which he was a charter member conducted their service at the grave. Mr. Whipple was born in Grafton, Mass. Oct. 21 1832 and spent his early life in this town as a farmer. He married Adelia A. Austin of Cambridge in 1853. A son died in infancy and two daughters were born to them who died in early womanhood, leaving 5 grand children to Mr. and Mrs. Whipple. He inlisted Sept. 8 1862 in Company E. 13th Regt. V.V. where he served as a drummer, being promoted to drum major June 21 1863. Later he engaged in hotel business in Cambridge going to Underhill in March 1886 where he purchased the Custer House. He was mustered into the post in 1886 and was always deepley interested in its wellfare, having held all its positions as commander at the time of his death. He represented the town in the Legislature in 1896. He is survived by his grandsons, his wife having died 8 years ago.

(See Book of War Sketches)

Return to Archives Homepage