Site Logo
Home | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Monuments | Museum | Towns | Units | Site Map

AK | AL | AR | AZ | CA | Canada | CO | CT | DC | DE | FL | HI | IA | IL | IN | KS | KY | LA | MA | MD | ME | MI | MN | MO | MS | MN | NC | ND | NE | NV | NH | NJ | NM | NY | OH | OK | OR | PA | SC | SD | TN | TX | UT | VA | VT | WA | WI | WV | WY

Where Did They Go?

New Hampshire

Bennett, Gideon; After getting married [9/12/65 in Montreal,Canada] Gideon opened a successful grocery store in Lebanon, NH. (Contricuted by Brian Bennett, Gideon's 2nd-great-grandson)

Bliss, Hobart Ellsworth; lived in West Lebanon, NH at the start of the Civil War, but for some unknown reason enlisted in Co. D of the 6th Vermont at Barton, in Orleans County, Vermont, on October 5, 1861. At some point he was moved to Co. F. On May 3 or 4, 1863, between Fredericksburg and Banks Ford, at the battle of Chancellorsville, he was shot in the left shoulder. Apparently left on the field, he was captured by the Confederates. Fortunately, in the custom of the time, he was paroled and returned to the Union side on May 16. He was sent to hospital in Burlington, Vermont, where he remained until "exchanged" in December. He was then transferred to the Veteran Reserve, and did not return to the field. After the war he went back to Lebanon, New Hampshire, where he died in 1916. He married twice, and left many descendents.

Bouvier, Peter A., born in St. Simon, Canada, 1845; moved to St. Albans/Highgate area with his family in 1847; married Mary Butler in 1867. Later moved to Keene, NH where he worked as a blacksmith for the B&M Railroad. They had 7 children, Arthur, Leon, Louie, Annie, Emma, Valida, and Frederick. They also had an adopted daughter, Marge. Peter died on March 28, 1925. He was burried in what was the New section of the cemetary in Keene. His wife, Mary, who died in 1941, is buried beside him. Contributed by Sharon Lamothe, his great-granddaughter.

Buxton, Anson; worked in his father's foundry in Montpelier before the war. In 1867 he worked in the machine shops of the Vermont Central Railroad in St. Albans. He married Hattie Adella Clough of Strafford Apr 25, 1870; they had six children. They lived in Tunbridge, Vt. 1874; Franklin, N.H. 1876, 1879; Bristol, N.H. ca. 1883-1930. Anson had his own blacksmith shop in Bristol for nearly fifty years. He died on his 60th wedding anniversary. He has a standard marble military tombstone. (descendant)

Gee, Freeman, after his release from Andersonville prison, migrated to Providence, Rhode Island where he Married Albina Tripp Davis, widow of Isaac Weaver. He operated a store in Providence where he sold fruit, tobaco and stationery. Later in his life he moved to the Lebanon, New Hampshire area. I have the "ancient flintlock" that he carried in the Civil War. (descendant)

Gray, John; moved from Lunenburg to Colebrook NH after the war, was Colebrook GAR Post commander in 1921 when he passed away. (Wesley Gray, his graet-grandson)

Hatch, Marshall Estes, moved to Newport, New Hampshire in 1872, where he was employed as a tin-worker and hardware dealer. He was in business with F. A. Sibley and later with S. G. Stowell. He died on 17 November 1878. He is buried in Newport at the Maple Street Cemetery, one of three brothers who served in Vermont regiments. (Jerome B. Hatch - 1st Vermont Calvary, Co. C and Gonsalvo C. Hatch - 3rd Vermont Infantry, Co. G). (Peter Flood, great-grandnephew,

Luce, Merrill O. (13th Infantry, Co. B); died in Haverhill. (Sturtevant 454)

Miller, Robert G., moved from Alburgh, Vt to Ellenburg, NY to Newport, NH died in Newport, NH. His body was taken back to Ellenburg, NY and buried at Sheldon Hill cemetery. (Richard A. Miller,, 2nd-great-grandnephew)

Porter, Julius Henry (17th US Inf), Moved to Alstead NH by 1895 census. Died November 1919; buried in Langdon NH. (Vicki Duckless Flanders, wife of Julius' great-grandson, James Flanders.

Shutfleff, Samuel Smith; born 9/23/1838 in Walden, VT. He migrated from Vermont to Hopkinton NH after the Civil War. He worked as a carpenter and died as a result of wounds received in the the Wilderness Campaign on 3/7/1887. (grandson)