Site Logo

17th Vermont Infantry


Civil War Diary of Franklin Temple Carter,
Private, Company G

The following transcript is of a diary maintained by Franklin Temple Carter (pictured above), a resident of Concord, Vermont. We believe he was born in Ashby, Massachusetts on 30 July 1846. His family might have moved to Fitchburg, Massachusetts before 24 March 1848 because a brother, Henry Edward, is listed in family records as having been born in Fitchburg on that date. The family might have moved to Concord, Vermont before 30 December 1849 because a sister, Betsy Elizabeth is listed in family records as having been born in Concord, Vermont on that date.

Franklin's father was George Hiram Carter. He was born 18 June 1821, in Concord, Vermont. He entered military service in Concord Vermont 1 June 1861, was mustered into Co. I, 3rd Vermont Infantry on 16 July 1861 and died of typhoid dysentery on 18 June 1862. He was 41 years old. Although there had been nine children born of George Hiram Carter's marriage to Betsy Adams, only four were living at the time of the Civil War; and three were much younger than Franklin (Frank), including his sister Henrietta Carter who was the mother of my adopted mother, Pauline Carter Davis Allison. Pauline was the wife of my blood great uncle Robert Allison. Franklin Temple Carter is not a blood relative of any of the descendants of Robert Allison, but he is, by marriages in the family, a definite part of family history lore.

I remember my adopted mother Pauline telling me that her mother had told her that Pauline's maternal grandmother, Betsy Adams Carter, begged her son Franklin to not volunteer for service in the Civil war, because she had already lost her husband in that war. Whether true or not, Franklin Temple Carter, volunteered for service in Kirby, Vermont. Franklin enlisted 16 February 1864, was mustered into U.S. service in Company G, 17th Vermont Infantry on 12 April 1864, was wounded in action on 18 June 1864, and died 7 July 1864, from his wounds and complications from "brain fever," just a few weeks before his 18th birthday.

The diary Franklin Temple Carter maintained is in a black leather bound booklet 3 inches wide by 4.25 inches tall by 5/8 inches thick. He numbered pages 1 to 223. The reverse of page 223 is numbered 241 and it contains some writing. There is no writing on pages 53 through 209. Page 210 contains some writing. Pages 211 and 211 have no writing. Page 213 contains writing. It appears that a sheet was removed between pages 220 and 223. The first page of the booklet is not numbered, and it has the inscription "Frank Carter W. Concord Vt." Almost all of the diary is written in ink; there are some pencil notations on an unnumbered page at the front of the book that are repeated in ink on pages 2 and 3, and a penciled note on the rear flyleaf that reads "R.G. Graham 109 Nassau street N.Y. $1.00.

The transcript is as accurate a copy as I can make. No attempt has been made to correct spelling or punctuation or grammar. Some of the entries begin on one page and are concluded on the next page.


9 January 2002
1300 Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22202

Page 1

Worked for T. Holton 1863 seven months commencing in the middle of April and finishing in the middle of November for which I received at different times eighty four dollars. Also one half dollar for extra labor.

He allowed.21

for interest on $50.00 from the time that I finished until he paid it. He had paid the rest before.

Page 2

The following is an Account of what I spent of the wages I earned at Talcott Holtons in 1863:[1]

Tapping Same.58
Law Book1.00
To; M1.00
Carried to next page15.25

Page 3

Brought from Page 215.25
Clap boards3.50
Slab Wood1.40
Plannig Same[2].10
Postage on Paper.26
Cleaning Watch.75
Fixing Sled.10
Arnica for Cash.10
Carried to next page52.17

Page 4

Brought from page 352.17
Fixing Watch.25
Sled for George[4].50
For safe keeping30.00
Ink Stand.37
Shaving Tools.26
Carried to page 53.21

Page 5

Brought from page 43.21
Sutlers Stores.20
Passage home6.35
Maple Sugar.40
Oranges and Apples.20
Passage to St. J[5]1.00

Page 6

Jan. 21st
Bowles spoke to me about going to the mountain with him as porter for 18 dollars per month for two months commencing about the 4th of July. He is going to let me know certain in about four weeks.

Feb 16th. I have enlisted and am obliged to give this up.

Mar 16th. A. Crane enlisted today as drummer.[7]

Page 7

Feb 6th
I enlisted in the service of the U.S. Provided that I have a bounty equal to that paid by adjoining towns.

The town meeting came off today, and they did not raise the bounty, so Frank Morton[8], Elisha May[9] and I went to Kirby and enlisted.
W. Church enlisted, us this 16th day of Feb. to serve three years in the service of the U.S. we are going to have 300. dollars bounty from Kirby.

Page 8

We arrived in Burlington the 25th of February and were inspected the 26th. E. May was thrown out.

March 16th:64

I have been in the state service just one month.[10]

March 14th
Dennis May[11] went home recruiting and enlisted A. Crane.[12]

March 17th. F Morton, C. Wallace M. Reed and I went home on a furlough.[13]
March 22nd. F.M., C.W. and I returned to camp today.

Page 9

List of letters I received since I enlisted.

March 1stMother
March 1stAnon
March 6thJohn
March 6thCrane
M 12thMother

Page 10

List of letters that I wrote after I enlisted.

Feb 28Mother
March 7Mother
March 7Anon
March 7John
March 7Crane
March 31stMother

Page 11

March 22nd 1864
Arrived in Camp today

It is very cold today. Morse[14] froze his ears and, (Uninterpretable letter which might be J or K or P)enny froze a finger on drill.

Last night the guards stole three towels from our window. It is warmer today. Glines returned from a furlough tonight.[15]

C. Wallace, M. Bennett[16], F. Morton and I were on fatigue duty today. We dug two sinks and filled up two. In digging one we found some bones that were buried in

Page 12

The 1812 war 26th
Newt, Jones and Glines went home on furloughs today. The Regt was on police duty. Quite a number of recruits have just come in among whom were Crane and (undecipherable word) Reed. Dunbar and Mansfield came in from furlough tonight. [17]

It was cloudy all day and rained a little.

It is very pleasant today

A Crane and I went to town today.

Page 13

March 29th
It is cloudy today.
It rains a little. Two deserters were taken today. Received a Caledonian from Uncle Sam.[18]

Wrote to mother today. Ward is at work in the dining room.[19]

April 1st
Had a severe headache and was excused from duty. Dennis, Jones Glines Newt and the rest of the furloughed boys returned to night with a few recruits among

Page 14

whom was E. Howard[20]. Dennis brought me a letter from mother with 12 (word looks like "stamp") and some sugar from Mrs. Lindsey. And W Chase.

Saturday Apr. 2nd
Drilled in the forenoon and was on police duty this afternoon.
Twenty one recruits came in last night but five were thrown out.
Apr. 3d
The boys had a time with the dogs.
Wrote a letter to S M, Adams. The boys

Page 15

shot two dogs. My mouth is getting to be all fired sore. Dennis is acting Sergt Major.

The boys killed three dogs. Wrote to H. Lindsey. It is very pleasant weather.

wrote a letter to whats name's daughter. Very fine day.

It is fast day and we don't drill to day a lot of boys went down town. A Crane and I sent in some passes.

Page 16

Apr. 8th Friday
Got our passes signed and went out. Saw a Steamer on the lake.
The St. Johnsbury and the Ludlow squads were put together and organized into one Company.[21]
Hartshorn is captain, Reed fourth and Dennis Fifth sergts. and F Carter private. also F Morton.[22]
Pretty cold. snowed some Wrote a letter to John and one to Whats his name's daughter.

Page 17

April 11th
It was so snowy that we didn't drill. But the snow went off before night. I cut wood for the hospitle.
Our company was mustered into the U.S. service today in the rain.
Drilled today. Have had no answers from any of the letters I have written since my return to Camp. Begin to be mad about it. Signed the allotment roll for ten dollars per month.

Page 18

Thursday April 14th
Mark Reed went home on a three days furlough. Rec'd a letter from H Lindsay and one from What's names daughter. An't as mad as I was. I got my power of attorney for drawing my bounty and sent it to Sam.
got my uniform. Overcoat dress coat. blouse pants Knappsack haversack canteen and rubber blanket.
Went down town to-day and had two pictures taken costing one dollar.

Page 19

April 16th
Was paid off today 13.05. Spent 5.70 of it got a letter from Morgan and one from Mother and --.[23] And one from E May. Mark got back tonight and Dan May came with him[24]. He brought some things that mother sent to me
Drawed our Guns and equipments at midnight last night. got a letter from
Sammuls wife Sent me power of attorney for drawing my state pay to P. May by Dan.
Was Paid 73 dollars
The guards killed Sweeny tonight Sent 50 dollars to Sam by Dan May.
18th Monday
Were ordered up at 2.30 this morning and started for Annapolis at 5. The 8th Vt passed us on their way home but I didn't see any of them. Went aboard a Steamer about 12 to night at New Haven. Saw Jeff and V. Hastings at Springfield Mass.

Page 21

April 19th Thursday
Arrived in New York this morning and eat breakfast there. We camped close to Barnums Museum. Didn't see but 3 good looking girls in the city. There was no waving of Flags or handkerchiefs in the city. But below there all along the banks the girls were waving Flags and handkerchiefs continually. Arrived in Amboy before dark and waited till nearly midnight for the cars. When we got aboard them I went to

Page 22

sleep and slept till the cars stopped.
Crossed the river to Philadelphia Where we staid till most 5P.M. We had a first rate breakfast and Dinner free. Saw the most pretty girls that I ever saw, before
Started for Baltimore about 5PM.
Arrived in B before Eight and got breakfast. And rested till about 9AM when we took the cars for Washington where we arrived about 4P.M. and staid all night. it is the first nights

Page 23

sleep that I have had since Last Friday night.
Friday April 22nd
Started from the barracks at Washington at 7 AM. And marched to the Potomac where we took a Steamer for Alexande W where we arrived about 10 A.M. Went ashore and a while and then marched to the Soldiers Rest" and took dinner. and marched up back of the city and camped. E Howard C. Wallace and F Morton tented with me. My arm is plaguy sore where it was vaccinated.

Page 24

Sat 23d
Went out on inspection and we are ordered to throw away or send off all the stuff in our knap sacks except one change of under clothes and an extra pair of shoes, and reserve the space for five days rations. We haven't had any breakfast nor dinner today and it is 8 oclock and we have not had any supper yet. My arm is all fired sore it affects me all over
Wrote a letter to mother

Page 25

Sunday 24
My arm is sore that I went to the Surgeon and got excused from duty The 32nd Maine came here today.[25]
Got excused again today.
My arm is better today. This afternoon we were ordered to strike tents and prepare to march with 2 days rations. After we got the tent struck we were ordered to stay till morning so

Page 26

we put up our shelter tents and drawed 6 days rations of Hard tack.
27th Wednesday
Started from camp and marched to Fairfax courthouse a distance of 18 miles. Saw Gen. Burnside.
Marched to Barstow Station[26] a distance of 21 miles. Halted and eat dinner near the battle field of Bulls run.
Struck tents this morn and ordered to attention and then to rest and

Page 27

then to attention again and so on all day. it is very warm. Along towards night we moved close to the railroad and camped. The shot and shell are very plenty around in the grass. Taylor fired one off and it tore his hand all to pieces[27]. Some of the boys' rations have given out.
30th Saturday
I had hard tack enough so that the boys had supper and breakfast in our tent. Howard Day and I are on picket as reserve. We drawed

Page 28

some rations this afternoon. The Col came and mustered us for pay this afternoon. It is quite rainy. (uninterpretable symbol) passed ahead last night.
May 1st
We were relieved from picket at 11AM. Regiments of Cavalry and Infantry are passing here every little while. Wallace is tenting with Dennis now.
Mon 2nd
All right
Wrote home
Started from

Page 29

Bristow between 10 and 11 A.M. and marched to Bealton station which we reached about 8.o'c P.M. a distance of19 miles. I was on guard duty today. F. Morton has got the Mumps. H. Seyon is sick.[28]
Thursday. 5th
Started from bealtons at 5.30A.M. crossed the Rappahannock at 7 A.M. My feet begin to be sore.
Halted for the night about 2 miles south of the rapidan and laid on

Page 30

Heard firing to the front.
our arms.[29] Were ordered up and commen
ced to march We went about 6 miles when
we met the rebs whom we fought till dark. When we lay down and slept on our arms. During the fight one ball hit my knapsack and another my gun which splintered it so that I could not use it so I picked up another and we charged and drove them from their works. Shortly they came again and drove us back and I being close to them dropped my knap

Page 31

sack to keep from being captured. Afterwards I found another. Our Regt lay on our arms during the night.
Sat. 7th May
There was not much fighting today. The rebels have most all gone so we came back to Minie Run and and stopped overnight on the Ground that Gen Jackson was killed.
Commenced our march towards Fredericksburg. Halted and took dinner on the battlefield of Chancellorsville.

Page 32

9th Monday
Staid here till noon when we marched forward six miles and stopped over night. Our Leuint Col. who was wounded and missing in the Battle came into the Regt.
The others that were killed and wounded in our Company Sergt. Dunbar and Corp Wakefield. killed. Morse, Kenny, Ingalls, Langdon, Allard, Ames wounded.[30]

Page 33

Tuesday 10th
We have heard cannonading every day since Wednesday.
Left this place about 3 oclock P.M. and made a forced march to the front. Lay behind the breast work tonight without taking off my knapsack.[31]
There was not much firing but artillery.
11th Wednesday
Our men drove the rebs some. We lay behind the breastwork today till night when we marched a mile

Page 34

to the rear and drawed a days ration of beef and then advanced a few rods to the front where we stopped over night. it rained this afternoon got out of hard tack.
Thursday 12th
Advanced this morning about 2 miles and fought the rebels all day[32]. Took about fifty prisoners at one time
Cargill and Dupont killed and Pollard, Kerr and Reed
Rained most all day.

Page 35

Friday 13th
Rained all night. Built a breast work of rails and trees. Occasional firing today Helped carry a wounded rebel to the hospital a distance of three miles, and brought back two days rations of hard tack. There was pretty sharp firing on our left this evening for a little while. Rained today. Were called up this time in the night.
occasional firing.
Rained some.
Our artillery gave the rebs some shell and grape about 430 P.M.

Page 36

and took two of their guns.
Sunday 15th
Were called up at 12 oclock last night. last night is the first night that I have lain down to sleep since last monday night. Rained pretty hard this afternoon. The rebs gave us a few shells.
Was on guard last night and saw Leunt. Kingsbury shot by the picket.[33] Slept in under a shelter tent last night for the first time since the 4th of May. Wrote home. Have had nothing to eat but meat today. Hope soon to have some hard tack.

Page 37

We have drawn some hard tack pork and beef. There was some Artillery firing on both sides.
Tuesday May 17th
It is pleasant today took my only shirt off and washed it.
18th Wednesday
Were ordered up at 3 oclock AM. And formed and our artillery and Rebels blazed away pretty briskly about all day. Our men advanced and occupied two of the rebel rifle pits till 4 oclock

Page 38

We found a wounded rebel that was wounded six days ago in front There has been a good deal of fighting today. Drew some more beef last night. F. Morton and I fixed up all our beef to keep it from hurting to-day. [34]
Thursday 19th
Was called up at 10 o clock last and chopped 1 1/2 hours and then went to sleep and was called up at 1.30 A.M. and marched to the rear and halted and took breakfast and then marched to the left and halted in the

Page 39

woods where we received some mail from home and I got a letter from mother dated May 3d.
Friday 20th
We put up a tent and slept all night with out being called it was the first night for ten days. Wrote to Aunt Martha. Went to see the boys in the 3r and 11th. Filled my knapsack and haversack with hardtack. bought a pound of sugar of the commissary.
Drew some pork and beef and coffee.

Page 40

Saturday May 21st 1864
Struck tent this morning and marched a short distance to the right and front and halted. Fiddled round till 4P.M. when we commenced to march and marched all night.
Halted at Downers bridge at light where we stayed till 11 A.M. when we marched till 6.30 P.M. when we halted for the night On the march some of the boys got a lot of tobacco hens Pigs etc without any thanks from any one

Page 41

Monday 23d
Started at 7.30 A.M. Halted 8.30 P.M.
Heard very sharp artillery firing to the front.
24 th
Scott Hendrick came here. Bought a pound of Sugar. Started from here at 1 P.M. and marched to the south side of the North Anna and built breast works It rained very hard.
Laid down last night at half past two. F. Morton lost his haver sack last night
(NOTE. On this page there is a marginal entry saying "Some one stole my haver sack last night".)

Page 42

Built a breast work last night and then tore it up and built it farther aheade
Today we tore it up again and built it still further to the front. It rained this afternoon put up our tents.
26th Thursday
Got a letter from Aunt Maria and mother. Drew some beef coffee sugar and hard tack. (word looks like "iniserable", could possibly be miserable) Skermishing to day rained some. Left about 9 P.M. and marched. Marched back across the bridge and through the mud till 2.30 when we lay down for the night. The bridge was burned after

Page 43

We crossed it
Friday 27th
Slept till 11 AM. When we left and marched till 1 o'clock at night.
Started at 7 A.M. Marched all day and 12 o'clock at night
Sunday 29th
Was waked up at half past 3 and commence. To march at 4.30 Am marched 3 miles and halted and went to building breast works. At noon we moved back miles and stopped for the night. rested well.

Page 44

30th Monday
Commenced to march to the front at 6 A.M. Halted at night in the woods. Drew one days rations. The rebs made several charges in the night. We lay on our arms as reserve.
Left this place at 8.30 AM. And went to the front to building breastworks Moved again farther to the front where the bullets flew pretty lively. And lay till dark when we went to building another. Worked most all night.

Page 45

Wednesday, June 1st
We lay behind the works I was detailed on picket to night had pretty sharp work.
June 2nd
Our men fell back from the breast works about 4 AM. And we pickets fell back by degrees and fought the rebs till near night when we marched on and caught up with our Reg't when it commenced to rain and it rained like fury. Shortly after the rebs pitched on unexpectedly Our Regt formed behind the breastwork and lay all

Page 46

night in the rain.
Friday 3d
Lay here till noon. Got a letter from home. Advanced over the works at noon and had a fight with the rebs[35]. Our co. lost five wounded.
1st Sgt Giddings, Windsor Connell, Vancor and Bray[36].
Fell back to the woods and went to building breast works
had not finished them when we moved a short distance to the left and built another line where we stayed all night.
Saturday 4th
Wrote to mother.
Got out of hardtack last night
Staid here till 4 P.M.
(NOTE: There is a marginal note on page 46 which seems to relate to Friday the 3d and which reads " Newt came to the co. today")

Page 47

where we moved about two miles to the left behind some bully breastworks and put up tents Drew three days rations of hardtack and sugar.
Rained all night.
Sunday June 5th
Went on picket at 8 AM Lay in a hole dug in the ground about 20 rods from the rebels breastworks. Had some pretty sharp firing in the night.
Was not relieved today till nearly 11 A.M. Our regt changed its position this morning.
Moved to right a distance.

Page 48

and built a breast work.
7th Tuesday
Changed position this morning
The rebs shelled us terribly this afternoon. To night we moved back near our former position. Was detailed at 12 oclock at night to draw rations. Got back at 3
Moved back to the place we were in the 4th and 5th.All but four or five of the company went on Skirmish.
(NOTE: There is a marginal note on this page which reads, "8th Co H Came in today")
Thursday 9th
Wrote to mother and sent home six dollars.
Am on fatigue today building breastworks in front.

Page 49

Friday June 10th
Hunted most all the afternoon for the Commissary but didn't find him
This morning we moved up to the new breastwork
June 11th
Found the commissary and got ten pounds of sugar. Washed my shirt.
Drew a new canteen.
(NOTE: There is a marginal comment pertaining to either the 10th or 11th which reads, "F. Morton went to Hospital".)
Sunday June 12th
Was detailed on picket to night.
We were withdrawn at 2 o'clock AM. And reached the Regt at 230 AM which left at 9 the night

Page 50

Before. Resumed our march at 1 PM. and halted for the night at 1 oclock at night.
Tuesday 14th
Started in the morning and halted for the night at 9 P.M. near the James River. The nights are pretty cold now.
Wednesday June 15th
Staid here till dark when we commenced to march and marched all night.
marched most all day.[37]
At night we charged up in front of the Rebs

Page 51

where we lay on our arms al night. they gave us considerable lead and shell. C Wallace made tall tracks to the rear.
Friday June 17th
We charged this morning and took five pieces of artillery one caisson and six horses besides a number of prisoners. The 17th took all but 3 of the pieces Which were taken by the rest of the brigade. Our company was deployed as skirmishers where we lay till Gen Burnside relieved us brigade

Page 52

from duty the rest of the day praising us for our conduct.
We then went back to the right of the house and went to work on a line of breastwork that had been begun. Went on picket to night.

(Copier's note. This is the latest entry made in the diary. There are other entries on pages beyond this page, but they were all made prior to June 17th. Private Franklin Carter was mortally wounded in action on June 18, 1864, and that he died on July 7th , 1864. If family records are correct he would have been 18 years old had he lived until July 30, 1864. Other entries in Private Carter's diary are copied below.)

Page 210

Mony that I have received from Government
April 16th.

State Pay13.05
17th One Mos. Pay and
60 dollars of bounty

Page 213

What I did with the mony that I received from the government.

Silver Pencil and gold Pen2.75
Portfolio and paper.95
Sent to Sam50.00
Sent Home6.00

Page 241

Jan. 13. Sumner Pike gave his pipe to me to keep three months. And if he smokes during that time. The pipe is mine.

He smoked but I gave his pipe back to him.

Unnumbered page, back flyleaf
R.G. Graham
109 Nassau street


1 - These expenses may indicate that this seventeen year old man was trying to help support his mother and siblings because his father had died in the war in 1862.
2 - This means planing the boards. On one of the front flyleaves of the book he had written these expenses in pencil, and the pencil notation is correctly spelled.
3 - In his pencil notation on the flyleaf, this expense is written as "Paid Chase".
4 - This probably refers to a sled for his younger brother George who was born in 1860.
5 - This may mean passage to St. Johnsbury, Vermont which is the largest city near Concord, Vermont, and which is a few miles to the west of Concord.
6 - This may refer to a note at the last (unnumbered) page of the diary which has the notation "R.S. Graham 109 Nassau street-N.Y. $1.00".
7 - This may refer to Azariah Crane who enlisted as a musician on 16 March 1864.
8 - Frank Morton was enlisted into Company G, 17th Vermont Infantry, on 2/16/1864.
9 - Elisha May was a QSgt in F Company of the Frontier Cavalry, and that he enlisted on 1/3/1865. So Frank Carter's diary entry, on page 8 of the diary, that E. May was thrown out did not mark the end of Mr. May's efforts to be of service.
10 - There is no obvious explanation why the diary entry dated March 16th is written before the entry dated March 14th, but that's the way the diary is written.
11 - This may refer to May, Dennis E., St. Johnsbury, SGT, VT INF 17, G, enlisted 2/23/64.
12 - This may refer to Azariah Crane who enlisted as a musician on 16 March 1864. This may also refer to a similar note that was made on page 6 of the diary.
13 - Charles Wallace enlisted on 2/22/1864 in St. Johnsbury. Marcus Reed enlisted in St. Johnsbury on 2/24/1864. On page 51, the writer indicates that C. Wallace "made tall tracks to the rear" in combat.
14 - This may be Langdon O. Morse who enlisted on 2/1/64 in Danville.
15 - This may refer to Albert Gilines who was in Company G, and who had enlisted in Newport on 2/11/64.
16 - We find no record of M Bennett in Company G.
17 - This may refer to Henry C. Nute, who enlisted in Danville on 2/23/64 and who was later a corporal; and to Charles W. Jones who enlisted in Danville on 2/23/64 and who was later a Corporal. The reference to Glines is probably to the same Albert Gilines whose name appears on page 11 of the diary. The reference to Crane is probably to William Crane who enlisted in Concord on 3/23/64. Reed is probably Marcus Reed who enlisted in St Johnsbury on 2/24/64. Dunbar is probably Erastus Dunbar who enlisted in St. Johnsbury on 2/27/64. Mansfield is probably Pvt Royal G. Mansfield, who enlisted in St. Johnsbury, 2/25/64, and died of disease 9/10/64.
18 - The Caledonian was a regional newspaper. His reference to Uncle Sam might be to a brother of his father or his mother.
19 - This might be Sam Ward who enlisted in Danville on 2/23/64.
20 - This might refer to Pvt William E. Howard, who enlisted in Concord 3/29/64, and who died in prison 12/4/64. The "Dennis" to whom the writer refers may be Dennis May whose name appears on page 8 of the diary. On page 15 of the diary the writer says "Dennis is acting Sergt Major" That is probably the same Dennis May.
21 - This event may mark the creation of Company G, 17th Vermont Infantry.
22 - This probably refers to Captain Eldin J. Hartshorn, from Lunenburgh, who commanded G Company.
23 - The dash "" in the diary may indicate a person he chooses to not name. That person might be the person referred to in other parts of the diary as "What's his name's daughter".
24 - We find no reference to Dan May in the 17th Infantry, and the entry on page 20 indicates that Dan May might have returned to Concord.
25 - The day after this the 17th Vermont was assigned to the Second Brigade, Second Division, Ninth Corps. The 32d Maine was assigned to the brigade along with the 31st Maine, Sixth, Ninth and Eleventh New Hampshire.
26 - What Frank Carter has spelled "Bristow Station" is spelled "Bristoe Station" in an historical account of the 17th Vermont and in other Civil War references.
27 - We find no record of "Taylor" in Company G.
28 - We find no reference to H. Seyon in the Vermont Civil War data base.
29 - They might have camped on the battlefield of the Wilderness and participated in part of that battle.
30 - Wakefield died in prison 4/26/65, and that Sgt Erastus Dunbar was killed on the 6th. Also the "Leuint Col" who was wounded might have been Lieutenant Colonel Cummings who had sustained a scalp wound on the 6th. Langdon Morse, William Kenny, Lucius Ingalls, Samuel Langdon, Rufus Allard and Azro Ames, all members of Company G, were wounded on the 6th; Morse died of his wounds 5/31/64 and Ingalls died of his 6/12/64.
31 - This was probably in the Spotsylvania area.
32 - This was probably the battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse or the"Salient, Spotsylvania Courthouse".
33 - This is probably Lieutenant Kingsbury of Company F.
34 - The term "hurting" was commonly used to mean deteriorating or going bad or rotting. In the time before refrigeration was common, people would often process fresh foods to keep them from "hurting". In this context it probably means that F. Morton and F. Carter boiled the beef or salted it to keep it from deteriorating before they could eat it.
35 - This action was probably somewhere near Bethesda Church.
36 - There were several men named "Winsor" in Company G at this time; the reference to Connell is probably to Stephen Connell who enlisted in Barnet; the reference to Vancor is probably to Private Norman Wallace Vancor who enlisted in Newbury; The reference to Bray is probably to one of two men named Bray who enlisted in Newark, VT.
37 - This was apparently an attack on the defenses of Petersburg.