Site Logo
Home | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Monuments | Museum | Towns | Units | Site Map

1st Vermont Cavalry

Charles Abraham Adams, Ludlow
Captain, Co. H, 1st Cavalry

[From: Families of Cavendish and the Black River Valley of Windsor County, Vermont, Vol. 3, by Linda M. F. Welch, (forthcoming Fall, 1998 from the Cavendish Historical Society, Cavendish, Vermont)
For more information contact:, or write her at: 179 Meriden Road, Lebanon, NH 03766]

Charles Abraham Adams7 {Abraham6, Peter5, Archaelous4, John3, Francis2, Richard1} was born in Ludlow, Vt., 3 Nov., 1837, son of Abraham & Esther Painter (Chandler) Adams of Andover, Vt.). He m. 1st in Andover, Vt., 25 Nov., 1860, Eliza Ann Peabody (b. 23 Jan., 1833, dau. of Daniel Putnam & Lucinda (Wightman) Clay Peabody of Andover). Eliza d. in Chillicothe, Missouri, 30 July, 1900. Charles m. 2nd in Missouri, 1 Sept., 1901, Miss Mamie Todd (b.--, dau. of Samuel Blair & Sarah (Koy) Todd).

The house Charles was born in was occupied by the Honorable John G. Sargeant of Ludlow in 1902. Charles left Ludlow at the age of 17 and enlisted as a volunteer in a Company "H", First Vt. Cavalry. D. W. Bugbee of Ludlow, his friend and companion, was also a member of that company. Charles was appointed First Lieutenant of the company 1 April, 1863. He was appointed Captain of the company at Fairfax Court House, Virginia (mustered in by Jacob Pristol, First Lieut., 5th Michigan Cavalry, 3rd Division Cavalry). These troops were with Kilpatrick in many hard fought campaigns of the Civil War. On 18 Nov., 1864, Charles was appointed Major of Co. "H" and mustered in at Petersburg, Virginia 3 May, 1865. On 24 July, 1867, By Brevet, he was given the title of Lieutenant Colonel, also title of Colonel by the consent of the Senate, "for gallant and meritorious services in the field." His commission was signed by Andrew Johnson, President of the United States in the ninety-second year of the Independence of the United States; and by Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War. Title was given from 13 March, 1865.

Eliza Peabody's brief journal entries for the years 1857-63 (beginning when she was single, 24 years old, and off to work in a textile mill in Massachusetts with her sister Angie), was passed down in the family and owned in 1970 by Julia Adams Jones Elkin of St. Louis. Some of the entries follow:

Lawrence (Mass): 30 July 1857: We left on a beautiful clear day, not a cloud veiled the horizon to hide its clear blueness; all was bright and joyous before us as we departed. We passed a tedious journey, but secure from trouble or difficulty, when we were ushered before new and altogether different scenes to what we are accustomed. Time passed on and with it the regular duties pertaining to factory life. During the tree weeks of our stay here, both pain and pleasure have followed. The enjoyment of uncommon privileges, the delightful scene of the surrounding country, have been pleasurable - the realization of being among so many of all kinds of characters, the impoliteness and cold heartedness manifested by some, and the trials of the employment in which we are engaged, nave called up feelings of homesickness and dread. I can freely say for al the painful emotions felt, the enjoyment has been greatest --am in hopes, at length, to look upon unpleasant scenes with sorrow for such depravity, but unspeakable joy, that good influence also abounds, and that with diligence to our duty, we must strive to the utmost of our capability to impart such. A small, very small part, may work some good.

Simonsville, Vt., 3 Jan., 1858: All alone in the old kitchen; thoughts thronging thick and fast. This evening have been feasting upon the contents of our Lad's Books. In some, finally, in all, I find useful, instructive reading; that which causes me to reflect and study. Being overwhelmed with thoughts as what first to communicate to my journal after so long an absence. I have no idea but that a perusal of what I write will be as puzzling to the reader, as the most complex problem to the mathematician. I am now enjoying home's most transcendent sweets.

January 22, 1858: Very pleasant all day; was at home until evening when by the kind invitation solicited by W. J. Gutterson, we took a sleigh ride to spend the evening at Alonzo's. We had a delightful time singing, dancing, etc. The evening wore rapidly away until twelve o'clock betokened us the time for departure. At precisely twelve I was warned that my twenty-fifth year had actually come to an end. I was taunted, and even jeered at for merriment, that I had turned the corner that was first to pronounce me an old maid.

November 25, 1860: Witnessed the most solemn of all pledges, those of matrimony. The impressions --the realizing sense of the duties involved indelibly stamped on my mind. Stayed in Chester all night. Angie and Warren took supper with us.

New Years Just Past, 1861: ... with its memorable impressions comes surging up the words of one dearer to me than my own life: 'Every day I see in your goodness my own faults." What better calculated to awaken in my heart renewed energy, yea; every effort in my power than this expression. Can I prove myself worthy the noble heart which beats so affectionately for me?

September 15, 1861: A beautiful day, yet so beclouded with sadness. Have been alone, Charlie being absent on business concerning the war. Has just arrived with encouraging news and much elated with the prospects of good success. yet to me this loneliness seems almost insupportable. He is soon to leave again.

October 19, 1861: Another day numbered with the past yet only two in the number of Charlie's absence. Shall I ever cease to weep over these lonely hours? Or will my heart every yield to that perfect submission of God's will? Others are very dear and kind, but what can fill a husband's place in the affections?

October 21, 1861: Our angel Baby came to earth in sweet innocence to gladden her parents' hearts. Charles in Burlington [this on the birth of daughter Carrie].

November 30, 1861: Started for home to visit my mother and friends in Andover. My Babe very good so that my journey was indeed pleasant. Found Warren and Angie also at home to greet me. Many exclamations of wonder at our babe.

December 2, 1861: Putnam went with Warren and Angie to the depot and brought home Charles. Came in to our surprise. Returned Thursday. Went to the street with him.

February 12, 1862: Went to Chester with Putnam, leaving my babe at home. Made a few purchases and took from the library, Disk's Moral Philosophy. War items very favorable on the Federal side. Little Carrie lies sleeping at my left hand. Precious babe, given to bless me in my loneliness. I often think that were it not for her, my heart would wander too long and unceasingly. Before she came to bless us, I thought I had experienced feelings of tenderness, but not in comparison with those in connection with herself.

April 27, 1862: My husband's devoted affection, manifested in his frequent communications and the love which our darling child awakens, alone, are more than I merit, I am sure.

August 23, 1863: All alone in the enjoyment of my thoughts and feelings. Father and Mariel in Saratoga, mother at church and Carrie asleep.

September 4, 1863: Frank (Charles Francis), was born August 25, 1863). Eleven days have they kept me upon my bed during which time my heart has seemed to overflow with blessings. Our little son ... [this is the last page of the diary that survived]

*After the war, Vermont was not as exciting as before for many of the returning soldiers. Colonel Adams and his brother Henry and their families went West in 1867, and settled eventually, in Livingston County, Missouri in the town of Chillicothe. He was a very prominent man in his community and represented his County in the State Legislature. An article in the local newspaper of Chillicothe in 1915 said: "the most useful and widely known enterprise in the history of Rich Hill Township was the Adams Creamery, situated on the southwest corner of the northwest quarter of Section 28. On 20 Nov., 1868, Mr. Adams purchased that section and in a very short time had built and equipped an up-to-date creamery. From a small beginning it grew to a wonderful enterprise. Adams' butter was as staple as sterling gold in any market. Adams labored with earnest zeal to make the business go; friends stood by him, and he stood by his friends. An enemy he never had. He was perhaps the most widely loved man in Livingston County." In 1887 at the American Dairy Show in Chicago, Mr. Adams was awarded the blue ribbon Sweepstakes Premium for butter. In 1894 at the St. Louis Fair he was awarded First Premium for his butter. Charles had experience during the war in Libby Prison for a time, and while there because acquainted with Fred Harvey. Later when Mr. Harvey and his son Ford established a well-known chain of "Harvey Restaurants" on the Santa Fe Railroad line, Mr. Adams sold them butter that went as far as the west coast. The Adams creamery grew into a retail grocery store in Chillicothe, then into a large wholesale grocery business in 1889 when his sons, and his son-in-law, Dick Jones, joined him. Charles went back to Vermont to visit his cousin Lowell P. Adams in Ludlow and to call on many old friends in 1899. He retired from the business in 1900.

Charles d. very suddenly of inflammation of the bowels and heart failure at his home in Chillicothe, Missouri, 11 March, 1902 (age 64). He is buried in the Jones cemetery in Chillicothe, Missouri.